I'm behind on the coop, but I can push the chick's off a while

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by deadendacres, Mar 9, 2015.

1. deadendacres

deadendacres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    Indiana
    I'm running behind because of the weather, but I can push my chicken order can also be pushed back.

First order is going out the 30th of this month. The second is the 17th of April.

I need as much time as I can get! But I'm worried because of the weather change. It was 0°f Friday and 50 today! And looks to be staying warm.

We used to use the warm up as the indicator of time to have chick's. But 3 days? I'm worried I'll have to introduce them to warmth more then cool!

But then again it cold bottom out and snow again before April is done.

I guess what I'm asking is, should I be worried that we don't have our chick's yet, If it's gonna stay warm?

Or am I just anxious and being overly concerned?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Why worry? Since your chicks will have heat for the first six weeks they should be fine regardless of the weather, and by the time they are ready to be on their own, HOPEfully it will actually be warm, unlike the neverending winter last year. If you areconcerned it will be too warm, that seems very unlikely, but you can always adjust your brooder temp accordingly.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How big will you coop be? How much building experience do you have? My coop build... I expected it to be done in 2 weekends. It took 10 weekends, plus a fair amount of time dedicated by me during the week days. How many chicks are you getting? Do you have an alternate temporary outdoor option for them just in case your coop build takes too long? Try thinking outside the box. One thing I'd not want to do, and will never do again is keep chicks in my house, even in the basement until they are able to be free of the brooder lamp (5-6 weeks). You're only talking 2 weeks difference between those 2 dates.

4. deadendacres

deadendacres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    Indiana
    The coop itself will be apx 16' x 8' the covered run probably 16' x 32'

I'm kinda handy. ;)

We're looking at 12 to 16 chick's.

I do have options but they kinda suck because they are over 30 mins away. Everyone close is also get in new chick's so they Don't have room for ours.

Maybe I'm just panicking for nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by