I'm being bitten by red mite

ChristineDown

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
Kent, England UK
I've got a red mite infestation and I have been cleaning out my hen house and holding my girls while I apply barrier spray. I got red mites on me four days ago and changed my clothes and had a shower. I got a number of itchy red bites so next day bought some solution for nits and put it on my hair. Washed my hair again, shower with medicated soap, changed all my bedding. Still more bites. Bought nit barrier spray for humans. Whenever I go into the pen I cover myself with barrier spray. Still more bites. Yesterday another shower with medicated soap, and sent husband into the pen. Woke up today with more bites!
Have been on red mite info sites. They say humans can get bitten by red mites but no further advice about treatment. (Just showers/change clothes etc)
Anyone got any suggestions?

What is "barrier spray"?

I would use permethrin/pyrethrin dust or spray, or 5% Sevin, in the coop and on the birds. (The former is usually available as "poultry dust" or Adam's Flea and Tick.) You will need to clean/whitewash the coop, and you will need to retreat in about 14 days, when the eggs hatch.

If "barrier spray" is some natural remedy, sorry, this is no time to experiment. If you don't kill those things, they will kill your birds.

Oh I have done loads of things. I used Poultry Shield fluid and an electric power water pressure spray to clean the coop. (Done 14 days apart) Then sprayed with Mite Kill (Permethrin). Tried to spray all cracks and crevices. BTW inside of house is painted with (real) creosote. I also used Diatom powder under bedding and in the laying boxes and along the wood where the roost poles sit. I have also put this into the dirt where the girls have their dust baths. Finally I sprayed the girls themselves with a solution called Barrier Red Mite which is supposed to deter the mites from getting on the girls. (I read that frontline is a good deterrent so I have ordered some online but it hasn't arrived yet.)

Is that the thread you meant? It seems to be about one sick chicken. I am seeking advice for getting rid of red mite on me! My girls are doing really well. Nice red combs and wattles, regular laying and don't appear to be suffering. Today their house looks clean, nothing visible in any of the cracks or under the places where the perches sit. I know they must have been bitten before I treated their house and them because some of the mites were red but mostly they were grey or white.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who replied to my red mite problem. The thing is I think the hens and coop are fine. But I am not!! The red mites are still on me after TWO hair shampoos with nit shampoo and numerous showers with different solutions including tea tree oil soap. I have about 30 bites that are very itchy! I have changed all my bedding, all my clothes etc. How do I treat myself??

get some RID lice shampoo and treat yourself just like you would for lice/scabies. the directions are on the bottle. wash the sheets/blanket hot hot water with bleach and if you have a soak setting use it. Also, vacuum your mattress then flip it. New pillows may be needed if you can't wash yours. Getting hypoallergenic covers for them may work as well.

I think there is even a RID you can use in the wash. may want to consider "flea bomb" in the house. if you can't get it under control

sorry, I saw after I wrote this that you used nit shampool. its the same as rid. does anyone else in the house have problems? do you have pets in the house?

Last edited:
They say that fowl mites and dog mange are species specific... I got the mange
hide.gif
a few years ago from walking dogs at the humane society. It was HORRIBLE!! I could feel the bugs at night and woke up with tiny red bites. I used the scabies meds.. it's like a cream you have to apply to your entire body and it suffocates the bug. The funny thing is my husband slept in the bed next to me the whole freakin time and never had one bite!! They are species specific but I think there are special circumstances.. You must taste rather good... just like chicken
big_smile.png

After I clean my coops, I always feel a bit itchy and head right for the shower and toss my clothes in the laundry. Im not sure if it's the little boogers or just me being rightfully paranoid
hmm.png

Call your pharmacy, they may have something over the counter.. otherwise, call the doc!! do it soon as they will breed and multiply
sickbyc.gif

Yes I have a dog. Dog has had a bath, I have re-applied frontline to her and washed her bedding. There's only my husband and me at home and he doesn't have any, but he doesn't do much chicken stuff! I got some bite cream from the chemist today. makes the bites less itchy. I'm hoping that maybe tomorrow I won't have any new bites.

Back
Top Bottom