I'm confused about the yoke. Please help.

meg2566

Hatching
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Golden, CO
I'm a new chicken Mom so I know I have a lot to learn. We have 5 RIRs and 3 Americanas. We get up to 6 or 7 eggs a day. Five are brown and up to 2 are green. I'm assuming one of my Americanas is not laying. Could I have a rooster and just do not know it? Also, in about 1 in every 3 eggs, there is a small dark spot on the yoke of the egg. What does this mean? Once I found a gross looking thing attached to the yoke and have no idea what it was. It was easily removed and the rest of the egg looked fine. Out of a hundred eggs, this has only happened once (the gross thing I cannot even adequately describe.) I'm so confused. Any advise on what a fertilized egg looks like, if this is the case with my flock.
roll.png
idunno.gif

Speckledhen posted some pictures a long time ago showing a fertilized egg.
You'll see a whitish bullseye type marking on the yolk.

The brown dots or spots are mostly little blood marks, now and then you might get a piece of ovary or something inside the egg. Just pick those out and the egg is fine, some are squeemish and toss the egg out.

You probably won't get an egg from each chicken every single day, you might not have a roo, perhaps a late starter. I never get day when all my hens lay (I think I have had one day like that in the 2 years I've had chickens)

Back
Top Bottom