I'm confused . . . what's happening?

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
this week, one of my girls keeps disappearing, but then reappears to eat every day and hang out for a while with the others. Today when she came back, we locked her in the coop and connecting small pen so that she couldn't free range and get back to her hiding place. She was so unhappy -- pacing and agitated. I don't think she is acting like the broody descriptions where a hen will stay on a nest and not leave it, so what's up with the hiding and staying out all night? We intend to keep her confined for a while. How long?? 2-3 days? longer? We are worried about night predators and don't want anything to happen to her. Advice PLEEZE!

sounds broody to me! our silkies get very upset if you remove them from their nests, pacing, making this weird sound, and getting very frustrated.

If you want her to hatch the eggs, let her out and track her back to the nest and then at night move here and the eggs into a secure location. Like a dog cage.

If you dont want her to hatch the eggs let keep her locked up a few days and try to break her.

yep I def think she's got a nest hidden. We currently have one hidden in the weeds somewhere by our barn. She would be around during the day, and one night recently I realized she's not in the coop at night. I can't wait for her to show up in the next couple weeks with her chickies in tow
jumpy.gif

We do have a fenced in back yard, but I leave quite a bit of it "wild" to support birds and small wildlife. We don't have a roo, so unfortunately she could be sitting on eggs forever and no chicks.
sad.png

We have searched high and low for the nest. Found one egg under a shed near the coop with an opening about 2 inches which we blocked up after the first day she went missing.

Other than keeping her in the enclosed coop/run when we let the others free range, how can we break her of being broody?? And how long to keep her confined? Poor girl -- she is my favorite and she seems unhappy.

Oh, also, even with a small window and the ramp open to the run, the coop is pretty dark. I hate to have my pretty princess spending a lot of time in the dark. Do they mind that?? Do we need to put a light in there. My husband is not excited about lighting the coop, but I think we need to do this for the winter anyway.

Suggestions??

Back
Top Bottom