I'm confused

lereg

Songster
Jan 22, 2017
Middle Tn
Due to all the rain this week, I've had the opportunity to watch my hens lately. I have a few 'green' egg layers, but the only one I've seen laying is my starlight green egger. Well, today, she went to the box and laid. Right after my, I thought one of my red sex links laid also. When I checked the box after she was finished, there was a green egg and an olive egg. How can this be?
I'll try to get a pic of my 'sex link', when she comes back inside.

Due to all the rain this week, I've had the opportunity to watch my hens lately. I have a few 'green' egg layers, but the only one I've seen laying is my starlight green egger. Well, today, she went to the box and laid. Right after my, I thought one of my red sex links laid also. When I checked the box after she was finished, there was a green egg and an olive egg. How can this be?
I'll try to get a pic of my 'sex link', when she comes back inside.
20210923_113835.jpg

She doesn't look like the layer. I think you just got two eggs from the one hen, probably forgot to collect the other one earlier.

She doesn't look like the layer. I think you just got two eggs from the one hen, probably forgot to collect the other one earlier.
I check the boxes first thing in the morning. Also, I'm always out on my porch, and this nest box is maybe 15 ft away from me, so that's not it. Not to mention, I'm getting 2 a day.

I check the boxes first thing in the morning. Also, I'm always out on my porch, and this nest box is maybe 15 ft away from me, so that's not it.
Well, that is strange. But I simply don't see how that chicken could have laid a green egg if you only have one green egg layer. A mystery for sure...

Well, that is strange. But I simply don't see how that chicken could have laid a green egg if you only have one green egg layer. A mystery for sure...
Right. They were the only 2 in that box. From about 6am- 9am, I'm out here with them, so I don't get it.

I've seen this for the last couple of days, and thought I was nuts,lol.

Right. They were the only 2 in that box. From about 6am- 9am, I'm out here with them, so I don't get it.

I've seen this for the last couple of days, and thought I was nuts,lol.
I guess you could try monitoring them more closely in the next few days and see if it happens again. If it doesn't, you probably just missed something.

I guess you could try monitoring them more closely in the next few days and see if it happens again. If it doesn't, you probably just missed something.
Like I said, it's rained all week, so I have been watching. Maybe not as close as I should have though

Where did you get the sex link from? Sex links are mixes that the breeder can tell at hatch which ones are pullets. Is there a possibility that the mix to create the sex link included cream crested leg bar? A blue egg layer with I believe barring. I happen to have a mix breed hen with an overall red appearance that lays olive eggs. She has a crest that gives hint to leg bar in her background.

Back
Top Bottom