Im destined to fail this year..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SarahFair, Jun 22, 2010.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    [​IMG]

All year I have had pretty poor hatches..
    Well this morning I walk in to check on the incubator, day 19, and the windows are dewed! I lift the top off and the temp is 80!
    I panic and look around.. A chair had falled over on the cord
    [​IMG]

I dont know how long they have been like that. I checked them late afternoon and the temp was about 99-100. The temps have been about 102-104 in the still air.
    I candled night of day 17 and I had a few clear and some so dark you could only see the veins on the very edge.

Being at 80 for lord knows how long..
    Have I failed?

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    I would keep trying to incubate them... there pretty hardy little things. If it helps i bet I'm worse at incubating then you! my best hatch was 50% [​IMG]

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm going to count this as a temp spike in the low direction instead of the high direction... I'd personally keep them in the incubator and wait to see. My eggs get 80-90 degrees for a few minutes every day while I wet down the paper towels I keep in for humidity. I imagine there are times in nature when a momma hen was away from the nest for a bit and the eggs cooled some and were ok. Maybe yours will be a success story!

I'm also interested, as this is a different sort of spike, in what your hatch ends up like. We're keeping track of temperature spike stories here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=358298

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I would wait and see. I had a broody leave a nest due to a heatlamp incident and the eggs had 4 days to go. They were cool to the touch when I found them. I put them back under her and 8 out of 10 hatched! Good Luck!

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Seems we all agree, you still have a pretty good chance of having chicks hatch,

Good Luck,
    Sandie

6. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    [​IMG]
    Thanks guys

7. novaman

novaman Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    I too think you have a reasonable shot. I've heard several say they purposely drop the temp (although not that far [​IMG]) during lockdown. I am no expert but I believe they could handle a lower temp better than a high temp spike.

8. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I heard cheeping!!
    ...but I dont know if my humidity is high enough. I noticed that my meter is off [​IMG]
    I know its at atleast 40%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by