I'm devastated something got my favorite Hen! The skin is torn of her back and neck

Matt Hick

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
I have a Hen that is so tame she sits on my lap and has been a good friend, the best sitter I've ever seen too. A dog got her last night and when I found her she has lost the skin down to the muscle on the back of her neck and a little on the back. She seems to be in pain and is just sitting still but she's alive. I saw in here some have saved their chickens in this shape. I don't want to be cruel but I don't want to lose her. I am heading to the feed store to see what they have, I hope they have the melting dressing that others are talking about. Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Matt Hick

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
Well here is a picture, I think I'll name here silver. The silver stuff I got from the feed store, it had great reviews from other chicken owners that had skin torn off their birds. She's resting in the garage. She did eat and drnk a little, looks like she's in pain, is there anything I can do for the pain?

TaraBellaBirds

Songster
6 Years
Jul 13, 2013
SW Kansas
Well here is a picture, I think I'll name here silver. The silver stuff I got from the feed store, it had great reviews from other chicken owners that had skin torn off their birds. She's resting in the garage. She did eat and drnk a little, looks like she's in pain, is there anything I can do for the pain?
Poor girl. It looks like she is getting lots of TLC. Hopefully she'll make a quick recovery! I did a quick search and it led me to a BYC thread! Hope this helps https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/39324/pain-relief-for-chickens

Matt Hick

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
Well sad to say Silver didn't make it. I'm bummed out, really loved that bird. O well, she had one chick maybe she'll be the same. Thanks for your replies and ill keep the info on the pain meds. Thanks

sue3

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
So Sorry about your loss. We had a little hen attacked years ago like that on the neck too. She was protecting her chicks while they were our foraging. I felt so bad for her and she did not make it either. I never knew what attacked our hen, but was suspicious that it might have been a hawk that had been hanging around.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom