I'm devastated something got my favorite Hen! The skin is torn of her back and neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Matt Hick, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Matt Hick

Matt Hick New Egg

Sep 7, 2013
    I have a Hen that is so tame she sits on my lap and has been a good friend, the best sitter I've ever seen too. A dog got her last night and when I found her she has lost the skin down to the muscle on the back of her neck and a little on the back. She seems to be in pain and is just sitting still but she's alive. I saw in here some have saved their chickens in this shape. I don't want to be cruel but I don't want to lose her. I am heading to the feed store to see what they have, I hope they have the melting dressing that others are talking about. Any help is appreciated, Thanks

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I hope she recovers. Keep us posted! Your biggest worry should be infection, so sterilization is majorly important.

3. GranmaEm

GranmaEm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Manhattan, NY
  4. Matt Hick

Matt Hick New Egg

Sep 7, 2013
    Well here is a picture, I think I'll name here silver. The silver stuff I got from the feed store, it had great reviews from other chicken owners that had skin torn off their birds. She's resting in the garage. She did eat and drnk a little, looks like she's in pain, is there anything I can do for the pain?[​IMG]

5. GranmaEm

GranmaEm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Manhattan, NY
    Meloxicam is a wonderful pain reliever. The same as used for dogs, I used this with great success.

6. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Poor girl. It looks like she is getting lots of TLC. Hopefully she'll make a quick recovery! I did a quick search and it led me to a BYC thread! Hope this helps https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/39324/pain-relief-for-chickens

7. Matt Hick

Matt Hick New Egg

Sep 7, 2013
    Well sad to say Silver didn't make it. I'm bummed out, really loved that bird. O well, she had one chick maybe she'll be the same. Thanks for your replies and ill keep the info on the pain meds. Thanks

8. sue3

sue3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    So Sorry about your loss. We had a little hen attacked years ago like that on the neck too. She was protecting her chicks while they were our foraging. I felt so bad for her and she did not make it either. I never knew what attacked our hen, but was suspicious that it might have been a hawk that had been hanging around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by