I'm devastated something got my favorite Hen! The skin is torn of her back and neck

Matt Hick

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
I have a Hen that is so tame she sits on my lap and has been a good friend, the best sitter I've ever seen too. A dog got her last night and when I found her she has lost the skin down to the muscle on the back of her neck and a little on the back. She seems to be in pain and is just sitting still but she's alive. I saw in here some have saved their chickens in this shape. I don't want to be cruel but I don't want to lose her. I am heading to the feed store to see what they have, I hope they have the melting dressing that others are talking about. Any help is appreciated, Thanks

I hope she recovers. Keep us posted! Your biggest worry should be infection, so sterilization is majorly important.

Well here is a picture, I think I'll name here silver. The silver stuff I got from the feed store, it had great reviews from other chicken owners that had skin torn off their birds. She's resting in the garage. She did eat and drnk a little, looks like she's in pain, is there anything I can do for the pain?

Well here is a picture, I think I'll name here silver. The silver stuff I got from the feed store, it had great reviews from other chicken owners that had skin torn off their birds. She's resting in the garage. She did eat and drnk a little, looks like she's in pain, is there anything I can do for the pain?
Poor girl. It looks like she is getting lots of TLC. Hopefully she'll make a quick recovery! I did a quick search and it led me to a BYC thread! Hope this helps https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/39324/pain-relief-for-chickens

Well sad to say Silver didn't make it. I'm bummed out, really loved that bird. O well, she had one chick maybe she'll be the same. Thanks for your replies and ill keep the info on the pain meds. Thanks

So Sorry about your loss. We had a little hen attacked years ago like that on the neck too. She was protecting her chicks while they were our foraging. I felt so bad for her and she did not make it either. I never knew what attacked our hen, but was suspicious that it might have been a hawk that had been hanging around.

Back
Top Bottom