I'm devastated :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenChik, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    My baby pekins are growing up so fast [​IMG] they won't be babies for long [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Gosh, don't do that! I read the title " I'm devastated" and I thought something happened to one of them!

They sure do grow up quick, don't they? I really enjoy having babies for the first week or so, and after that they're such messy little stinkers I start wishing they'd grow up quicker! [​IMG]

3. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I think ducks are very nice as adults. Don't worry. [​IMG]

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They do grow fast- ...I have over time become fond of a few different stages of growth in my ducklings. Growing up doesnt have to be so sad...but something to look foward to as well...Once these little ones are old enough- they will be able to provide you with more tiny cute little fuzz butts!!

5. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Oh, I agree. My Pekins are 7 weeks old and look full grown to me. It's hard to believe how tiny they were when we brought them home.

6. ChickenChik

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    These are my first 2 ever so I have grown very attached to them. They are my babies. I know they will be beautiful when they are grown up. I will just miss them being so close to my house. They are messy but at least I only have 2 [​IMG]

7. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yep it's hard.Once they hit the ground and can't be picked up and snuggled out of that brooder they seem like race car's on a track.I have 5 pekin left one Cayuga and the rest mallard this time.They don't want to be held and nuzzled anymore.But if you held them a lot as duckling's they usualy do good and will eat from your hand etc.I raised 24 Toulouse gosling's from babie's We did lose a few in first few month's due to some issue's but the rest were great I could get them up and hold them after they got HUGE.I have 26 duck's total left now and they are doing good tolerating the 2 year old grandson so this group is going to be good too I hope.At least they are stabling in horse stall at night now after We lost the 4 I think they are scared finaly of whatever got the other's so they all safe and snuggy now.They are just a joy to watch though as adult's.Hope you enjoy them.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yup, I read the title and thought, "oh, no . . . ."

My runners are close to full grown now, and if anything several of them have become sweeter than when they were little. I still get loads of attention and they tell me all about everything every time they see me. They are beautiful now, not just cute. They do try to correct my behavior sometimes now that they are grown up [​IMG]

9. ChickenChik

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    They are only about a week old so I still have a little while before they go out but it looks like they have already tripled in size

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by