i'm devastated

zumachicks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
the new chicken coop is going to be done today. last night a racoon (?) got both my girls. i'm just sick and had to clean up everything before my daughter wakes up. they were in a rabbit hutch until their new house was completed...literally, today. i can barely type and i'm just so sad. i have one bantam left, who had already flown high into a tree before i could put her in for the night, she's completely freaked out and won't come down (highly unusual). i'm just devastated and don't know if i should get more...you guys are the only ones who will understand.

Bless your heart!! How sad. :aww
Yes, you should try again, that banty will get lonely and its probably part of why she's still so freaked out.

But you will prbably have to do more to predator-proof the new coop, just in case...

How sad.
hit.gif
I am sooo sorry. That is just terrible. I would say "YES" you should get more. If anything, that little Banty needs some companionship. I think it would make you feel better too. Can you get some more locally, or do you have to order some? Finish your coop and get some more. :aww

Oh no! I am so sad for you. Please don't give up. Get some more. It will help heal your hurt. I am choking back tears because I know how I would feel. Take care. I am sending happy thoughts your way:)

I am so sorry..
hit.gif

I think your other will need some friends. Maybe some new chicks will help you in your grieving process.

I am so sorry for your loss!! Unfortunately it has happened to almost all of us one time or another. It is really hard when you only have a couple chickens to start with. The best advice I can give is to learn from the mistake and get some more. Your banty will come down in a day or so. I had some dogs chase my turkeys and geese and it took a day and a half for my tom to come out of a tree. The worst was every time we went outside he would gobble at me like what the heck was that!!! Make sure the wire is secure to the ground for your new run and that there will be no place for racoons to get their little hands in and pull open anything on the coop. Make sure there are no little holes for rats or weasles to get in. Also if it is a dirt floor put metal rods into the ground ever 6 inches or so to make sure nothing can dig into the coop or if it tries you have a better chance to catch it before it actually gets in. We have all lost a few so you are not alone! Good luck and I hope you get a few more. Jenn

I am so sorry you lost two of your girls. ((hugs)) It's awful.
I do think you should get more. Your little banty is scared to death and she will need friends (they are flock animals). It might be best to bring her inside, trap what killed your other birds, get rid of it (however you decide to) and THEN get new birds.
It may be tricky because you're supposed to keep new birds away from old for a few weeks. Are you able to keep your bantam inside for a couple of weeks while the new birds stay in the new coop?
Make sure you "take care" of what killed your other birds because it WILL be back for more.
:aww

I am so sorry for your loss. Please get more friends for the poor banty. I would be devastated if this happened to me so i feel for you very much. take care.

Back
Top Bottom