I'm done...Sort of....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChopperLinc, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ChopperLinc

ChopperLinc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Taylorsville, UT
    So I finally finished the coop, with the exception of a few small details.

Here it is...
    [​IMG]

Got the window for $15 at an architectural salvage place...
    [​IMG]

I added the side run as an afterthought. Rather than dig down and bend my hardware cloth out on the bottom, I set the whole thing on a treated 2x4 frame that has the cloth tacked to the bottom. Space saving for my small urban plot.
    [​IMG]

Nesting boxes complete with training "eggs."
    [​IMG]

Yard side access door so I can let them out to free range without going through the garden.
    [​IMG]

I still need to add the door to the bottom for the winter, and maybe some vents, although there is venting in the window. I want to put a flower box below the window too.

It's been a fun project. The whole thing cost about $500, including the chickens and supplies. I originally was going to do it out of all recycled materials. Bad idea. I bought used 2x4s for half as much, but only about half were usable after all the waste. The frame is made out of free 4X5s. WAY overkill and super heavy. Would have been better to fork out an extra $100 for 2X4s and 4X4 posts.

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    That is a very nice little coop. Great job! Extra ventalation is always a good idea in my opinion....maybe you can just put a small wire covered vent (a few inches or a few slits) opposite their window to create airflow. Either way, I think it looks great!

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    You did a great job, That is adorable!! Your yard and garden are beautiful also.

4. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    That is a darn nice little coop you've got there.[​IMG]

5. Kdub86

Kdub86 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Nice coop.! I love the window

6. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    very pretty. i love the garden too.

7. ChopperLinc

ChopperLinc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Taylorsville, UT
    Thanks all! Such a fun hobby, especially with a cool place to share it and get good design/build support!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by