I'm exhausted!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hencrazy, Jun 25, 2011.

1. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I have been up since 5am. Butchered 62 of my project meaties, 14 blrw bantam roos, 9 white cochin roos, 4 lavender bantam cochin roos, and 15 old laying hens. I am very pleased with the results. Wasn't sure if I would get them all done myself. I usually have help, but I am VERY picky about how clean the birds are so I tend to annoy everyone. Sounds dumb, but it's a really good feeling knowing I can do this myself. Just put them into the freezer. Kept out one old hen to make chicken dumpling soup tomorrow. Yum!

I'm really trying to raise/make as much as I can myself. Started with doing some canning and raising laying hens. Now in a year I can over 500 jars of fruits and veggies. I have one large freezer dedicated to chickens and one dedicated to fruits and veggies. I sell around 10 dozen eggs a week. I make my own bar soap, shampoo, and laundry detergent. I sell handmade dishcloths and towels. I even tried selling perennials and started flowers and veggies plants this spring and did amazingly well. Now if I could only do this for a living I would be in heaven.

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Now I'm exhausted from reading all you've done!! [​IMG]

3. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Wow!!! [​IMG] You've had a busy day!

Congrats on doing all those by yourself. I wish you could come here and give me lessons with my first meat birds.

I hope to be doing all the things you are down the track. I have only done a limited amount of preserving but I'd love to do more. 500 jars? That's impressive! [​IMG]

4. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Wow you are doing exactly what I want to do. I am raising my own pork, goats, and lambs. I was raising cornish X but I have a real problem with the birds themselves because it's so much work to keep them alive until butchering time so now I am starting my own dual purpose birds and I will be processing them and my laying hens as they get to old to lay anymore. It's the only way to go in my opinion.

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    As exhausted as you are... I'm totally jealous! Good for you for doing all of that yourself!!! Selling 10 dozen eggs a week? That's great. Are you on a busy road? How much do you sell each dozen for?

6. hencrazy

Mar 5, 2009
    All the eggs I sell are to friends and family. My sister buys 3 dozen each week. I would never sell to someone I didn't know. Should they get sick I don't want them to blame me. I sell eggs for $2.25 a dozen. I'm definitely not making a profit from eggs.

I just got my parents started in chickens again. I'm hoping to talk them into raising beef and pork again. I wish I had the room to do this. I'm hoping the in about 10 years I can buy a bigger place with more land. Then lookout! I will be raising and growing everything I possibly can.

7. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Just curious...how much meat does a bantam BLRW roo yield--is it anything like what the grocery store calls a Cornish Game hen? I have considered adding a bantam breed, I'm a rooster magnet. [​IMG]

8. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Quote:Making a profit is one thing.... helping to offset the cost of chicken feed is another thing! We'd be happy to sell 10 dozen a week!! I can't wait for our layers to get in production. I'm thinking another month and we'll be off.

9. hencrazy

Mar 5, 2009
    My blrw bantams I did not weigh - but I would say somewhere between the 3-4 pound range. They look small but are very heavy. They were hatchery stock that I have been breeding cuz I like the meat they produce. To me they look more like cornish/wyandotte crosses. Whatever they are they sure taste good.

I definItely know what you mean by being a roo magnet. I have 14 d'uccle bantams I just put outside yesterday. 10 of them are roos. I don't think those will be worth butchering though!

As for making a profit on eggs. The only way I figure that is possible is if your birds can free range all day. I can't do this due to the neighbor dogs. Or the birds would have to be leghorns and you would have to treat them like the big egg producers do - no thanks.

I have no intentions of becoming what people call self sufficient - that, I believe, is impossible these days. I am interested in doing as much as I can for myself. You guys should really try selling started plants and perennials - I made over $700 profit this spring doing this. I was very happy with that.

10. PikeCo

PikeCo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Ohio
    You are one busy person. I commend you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by