I'm feeding the girls boiled eggs...is this weird/wrong?

ricky bamboo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
Roseville, Ontario.
We have an over abundance of eggs after being away from the coop for a short time. All of our friends/neighbours etc... have all the eggs they need so tonight I boiled 6 doz. eggs and crushed them (shells and all) into bits. I plan to feed it all to my chickens and turkeys in the morning.
Should i be worried about them becoming 'egg eaters' and trying out their own before I get them from their nest boxes?
Ive fed them shells in the past with the rest of the table scraps and they go crazy for them.
What do you think?

good question!..heres a bump..i'd like to know also..
smile.png

People on BYC feed their chickens boiled eggs w/shells all of the time. I was like you, worried that they would start eating their own eggs. Yesterday, I scrambled eggs and shells for them and they loved it. It hasn't been but one day, but they didn't eat their eggs today.
fl.gif
Hope that they do not start.

Dorothy

Oh my girls love the boiled eggs with the shells crushed up. I wash them well first, boil them and crush them up tiny. They have been getting boiled egg since they were a week old. Not one egg has been eaten yet.

They also loved cooked chicken. I just cannot give it to them...it just feels wrong on so many levels.

I had fed my little chicks store bought hard boiled eggs, then had an issue with it when it came time to feed them their own eggs, but I got over it.
Just make sure you cook the eggs in some way, either hard-boiled or scrambled. They won't recognize those as the same thing as their eggs. You just don't want to feed them their raw eggs. Those they just might recognize and decide to help themselves to the ones in their nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom