I'm getting bunnies. Does and don't

Rabbits make great pets! I'd say just make sure not to get them commercial feed with seeds or dyed pieces of food, since that can be bad for them. Also be sure not to overfeed pellets. Since they're pets I'd say you should not give them access to pellets 24/7, but that's just my input.

I agree with what another person replied with: read up on them and research illnesses/sicknesses! There are a lot of different non-emergency sicknesses that you can treat at home for pretty cheap. It saves a costly vet visit. Rabbits also don't need daily vet visits. I've heard that in certain areas (I think Australia and parts of the UK?) there's a virus or something spread to keep down wild rabbits that domestic rabbits should be vaccinated for, but otherwise if you don't have that in your area there's no reason to bring them to the vet like a dog or cat. Rabbits are hardy creatures. My lionhead, ironically named Lion lol, is 10 to 11 years old and has gotten seriously sick like 3 times in his life. I've had him for about 8, almost 9, years.

Rabbits make great pets! I'd say just make sure not to get them commercial feed with seeds or dyed pieces of food, since that can be bad for them. Also be sure not to overfeed pellets. Since they're pets I'd say you should not give them access to pellets 24/7, but that's just my input.

I agree with what another person replied with: read up on them and research illnesses/sicknesses! There are a lot of different non-emergency sicknesses that you can treat at home for pretty cheap. It saves a costly vet visit. Rabbits also don't need daily vet visits. I've heard that in certain areas (I think Australia and parts of the UK?) there's a virus or something spread to keep down wild rabbits that domestic rabbits should be vaccinated for, but otherwise if you don't have that in your area there's no reason to bring them to the vet like a dog or cat. Rabbits are hardy creatures. My lionhead, ironically named Lion lol, is 10 to 11 years old and has gotten seriously sick like 3 times in his life. I've had him for about 8, almost 9, years.
This is very insightful! I did not plan on giving treats, that was one of the first things I read

Yes - Australia introduced myxomytosis to reduce the number of wild rabbits. The disease erased abut 95% of them.
https://rabbit.org/myxo/this will give you the info you need, :)

This is very insightful! I did not plan on giving treats, that was one of the first things I read
I'm glad I can help. :) I think treats are fine, so long as you give them sparingly and in the right amounts. My rabbits love most kinds of fruit, particularly bananas, pineapple, and strawberries. They also enjoy lettuce other greenery, or bits of carrot from time to time, and I also bought these little 'biscuit' treats that Oxbow made that have apple and banana flavoring. I don't give treats often because I know too many/much can cause problems, though. I'm very careful about their diet, particularly my older one, Lion, because I know certain things can cause a disruption to his cecum. (I believe that is what it's called?)

I still have to ask my feed store what they carry for products. I use them for my dog and my birds.

Oxbow is the best brand for rabbits. Also have oxbow critical care on hand always, plus a baby food to mix with it. Also papaya is great for digestive illnesses, but they can't have it when they are young. Oh and pedialyte for electrolytes if sick and even baby rice cereal is good to have. Research everything! Rabbits are great but they can be difficult and picky.

My daughter and I have a Flemish Giant and a mutt. The FG is huge and has her own bedroom complete with a slide and a swimming pool litter box. The other is still young but she has s two story pen that's about 6 ft by 5 ft. They both are allowed to hop around the house and play with the million cats and dogs when we are home.

Oxbow is the best brand for rabbits. Also have oxbow critical care on hand always, plus a baby food to mix with it. Also papaya is great for digestive illnesses, but they can't have it when they are young. Oh and pedialyte for electrolytes if sick and even baby rice cereal is good to have. Research everything! Rabbits are great but they can be difficult and picky.

My daughter and I have a Flemish Giant and a mutt. The FG is huge and has her own bedroom complete with a slide and a swimming pool litter box. The other is still young but she has s two story pen that's about 6 ft by 5 ft. They both are allowed to hop around the house and play with the million cats and dogs when we are home.
I'm hoping to allow these bunnies to have free roam of some of the house. Our yard is deadly with predators so I don't want them anywhere near outside.

The breeder said I can pick them up this weekend!!!

Back
Top Bottom