I'm getting chicks tonight!!!

Silkie_Lover1

Songster
Jun 14, 2018
Hanahan ,SC
Tonight we are going to get two or three chicks from TSC and we are going to give them to my broody, but I have a few questions...

1. Do I have to put them under her from behind?
  2. Will she make sure that the chicks eat and drink? I have food and water in the nest box with them.
  3. When will she take them outside?
  4. Will the chicks follow her down the ramp?

I ended up getting 4. I put them all under her and they all quieted down and I just checked on them and they seemed to be sleeping so I am assuming that everything is good for now:fl. I got three what I think are white crested black and one either buff or white chick that is so so so adorable and it was the only one that looked like it.

Tonight we are going to get two or three chicks from TSC and we are going to give them to my broody, but I have a few questions...

1. Do I have to put them under her from behind?
  2. Will she make sure that the chicks eat and drink? I have food and water in the nest box with them.
  3. When will she take them outside?
  4. Will the chicks follow her down the ramp?

IMG_20190228_191115.jpg

My experience is that the hen will take care of everything. I am not knowledgeable about putting them in from behind. It may be the best. I have never mothered hatched chicks in with a broody hen. I have just let mine set on eggs and hatch them. I wouldn't put food and water in the nesting box as they could make a big mess. Unless you have them seperate from the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom