I'm giving up on this whole rooster thing.

Quote:
He's a year and four months old. Ahah me grabbing at him would cause me to lose a finger or two.
So uhm.. I can't kill a rooster with my own hands. Can I knock him out some way then do it, away from the other chickens ofcourse. I mean I can't look in their eyes and hear their screams... It would break me down inside. Ofcourse if I was angry enough I'd probably take him into the other yard on the otherside of the driveway and use whatever junk I can find and do away with him. I've done it with a bird that was pecking/dropping/stealing eggs. Cornered it and beat it to death with a shovel then let the chickens eat it.

Quote:
He's a year and four months old. Ahah me grabbing at him would cause me to lose a finger or two.
So uhm.. I can't kill a rooster with my own hands. Can I knock him out some way then do it, away from the other chickens ofcourse. I mean I can't look in their eyes and hear their screams... It would break me down inside. Ofcourse if I was angry enough I'd probably take him into the other yard on the otherside of the driveway and use whatever junk I can find and do away with him. I've done it with a bird that was pecking/dropping/stealing eggs. Cornered it and beat it to death with a shovel then let the chickens eat it.

I would not consider this the action of an animal lover. You say you couldn't kill your bird with your own hands in one sentence, and then admit to brutally killing one in the next?
idunno.gif

Chickens are animals acting on instincts. We are their keepers. It is our responsibility to care for our animals in the best way possible. I have no problem with people raising birds for food, when they treat the bird with respect and give it a quick humane death, but it sounds like you are letting your emotions get in the way of seeing the situation objectively.
Just tell your parents you aren't doing the chicken thing anymore and walk away.

I second that opinion. I most certainly wouldn't be admitting on this forum, in particular, that you beat a chicken to death in a fit of anger.....
hmm.png
If you can't just do a humane kill with your own hands, then it's time to leave the chicken raising to someone with rational, mature behavior. I'd say it's time to get rid of all your chickens and stick to video games.

I had a lady tell me just the other day that her and her husband couldn't stand to kill something but they stood by and watched several roos peck and kill their two hens, got mad at the roos and took them a mile away and let them loose in the woods. One roo survived and made it's way home and is now their beloved pet. Can anyone imagine these people feeling good about their tender mercy and "love" for their animals?

What a messed up world.

It just seems to me that the parents in this situation need to take the situation in hand. Nothing good can come from letting one's animals and children develop such an adversarial relationship. Moxiechick, you need support and help from your parents, Charlie needs to go.

If the rooster does not respond to your efforts to rehabilitate him, then you should consider his future, not living with you. Whether that means not living or not with you is up to you.

I recall the case of King Boots. He was a very expensive show dog. When the dog killed and ate the owner's mother, the owner (successfully) fought to keep the law from putting down the dog because it was such a valuable dog. Your emotional reaction to this story, your judgement of that owner, may inform your actions with regard to your rooster.

Moxiechick gave you some very good advice (post #9), and I agree with everything she said.

Have you done anything to try and rehabilitate him besides chasing him with a stick and throwing hens at him? I know you're trying, but you are partly to blame for his behavior. See when you kick/hit him that makes him see you as a rival, so he attacks you. Don't fight with him that way, he thinks you're challenging him. There is a better way. Do a search on here for aggressive roosters, there are lots of ways to try and salvage an aggressive roo. And read post #9 again, great advice there. He could turn out to be a great roo if you were willing to work with him. If you're not, then give him away.

Last edited:
wood&feathers :

Moxiechick, you need support and help from your parents, Charlie needs to go.

The OP is Moochie, not Moxiechick!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom