I'm going back to SCHOOL!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChicknThief, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I finally did it! I finally have come to a decision about what I want in life and have set a path to get myself there. I haven't been this excited about anything in years! My life FINALLY has a direction again!

With some work and determination, in 4 years I will have my Teaching Credentials and will start work as an Elementary School teacher [​IMG]

I am currently looking into the programs at Phoenix, Liberty Online, and Full Sail. Anybody graduate from any of these or have any opinions on them?

I could just hop skip and jump around my office right now! Looks like a won't be a receptionist until I retire after all [​IMG]

2. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Good for you! I had a similar epiphany a few years ago, and while it wasn't the most ideal of paths, I'm just about to finish my bachelor's in psych, going on for a doctorate in clinical psych after this. I'll be 36 this June, and have a few more years ahead of me, but it feels great to be setting onto a path towards a long-term goal. Good luck!

[​IMG]

3. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

4. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Thanks guys! I talked to the counselor yesterday and I am REALLY leaning towards Phoenix. She was extremely helpful and gave me a clear outline of what exactly I need to do and exactly what classes to take to earn my bachelors in Science of Liberal Studies, which will qualify me to become an Elementary School Teacher in any part of the US.

If I don't qualify for any grants, scholarships, or financial aid, my total debt at graduation will be around 33,000. Which is actually a little less than I was fearing. With any luck I will land at least a couple grants.

5. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

If after your first year as a student you realize a lower annual income, your eligibility for grants will increase -- especially if this is your first bachelor's degree. That's what happened with me -- my first year of financial aid was based on a year of income from Manhattan, second year was based on 5 months from Manhattan and 7 months in my new location, Buffalo (lower total than the first year), and my second year was entirely based upon a year of Buffalo income while maintaining full-time student status. And it wasn't until my third year of school that I got a lot of grant money based on my now-lower income. Additionally, I'd recommend that you accept the maximum to which you are entitled. Federal student loans are low-interest and have a long payback time -- how often in life are you given this opportunity? If you use the excess wisely (saving, investing, etc), you'll be ahead of the game when it comes time to start paying them back.

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Congrats!! [​IMG][​IMG]

It is exciting! I know several people ten years my senior who are hopping up and down about going back to school. My husband just went back to work in computers and is loving it! Once he is done, I'll be able to go back if I decide to pursue clinical psych. I can't wait! I never feel as alive as I do when I am in an environment geared towards learning and expanding.

There is a government program where a certain ammount of your student loans is paid off each year if you work in an inner-city area. I am not sure if elementary teachers fall into this though, but know a lovely married couple who went that route for high school teaching (both are teachers). They really loved it.

Carefully look into the benefits and drawbacks of for-profit schools and different types of accreditation. I would talk with schools in the area you are living in/are interested in living in, and see what kind of schools they like seeing on their resumes. Ask students who attend what they feel the level of education is like, and how they would rank financial aid. I've known one too many people who got either completely ripped off (ended up with no valid degree and out thouasands of dollars from schools that claimed bankruptcy), or had serious issues in either or both areas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by