I'm going to be on a coop tour.... help!

Vickers58

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Dallas, tx
Hi!

My family has been asked to participate in our area's coop tour this year. We will be the first family to ever have ducks on display! This is actually a pretty huge event and we will have around 1500 people coming and going to see our set up....and the ducks!

I would really like to take this opportunity to pass out information to people on duck dumping, what to feed ducks instead of bread, and honestly encourage them to not take on ducks as pets unless they are ready for the commitment!

Our local hippy dippy organic urban feed store has also asked for 6 eggs to incubate and also want me to teach a class on raising ducklings and keeping ducks. I have requested that I get to bring two of my guys to the class so the people attending can see just how much poo can happen in a short time. :)

I am asking you guys to contribute any helpful links or ideas I could compile to hand out! I want people to not only realize how much goes into raising a duck, but to also bring to light the Dumping problem.

Here in Dallas our local lake has an area that is full of dumped ducks, geese, and a swan. There is a man that takes on the task of looking out for them and dumping 240lbs of food for them EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. He also takes newly dumped geese home and slowly introduces them to the flock so they can become part of the family rather than an outsider. Its incredible.

Any info would help!

Thanks everyone!!!

tell people that dumping ducks upsets the natural balance and upsets genepools of certain species of wild ducks.

Congratulations Vickers58!

For what it's worth, here is the text of a letter to the editor I sent out a couple of years ago.

Spring is coming! And among the dreams and temptations, perhaps more for those with children, will come the appeal of precious little chicks and ducklings and bunnies (a.k.a. kits).

I simply want to ask everyone to decide against getting any of these little critters if your plan is to release them to public fields, ponds or forests when they are grown, when you become overwhelmed with their care, the family tires of them, or they aren’t cute anymore.

Releasing pets is cruel, whether that is the intention or not. Those who try to help such released former pets use different words – abandonment or dumping.

Domestic animals are not equipped to protect or feed themselves. Sometimes they die quickly when they fall prey to other animals. Sometimes they slowly starve or freeze to death. Sometimes they die in agony from the infections that arise from injury or disease. It is awful to even contemplate.

If you want to have some of these small animals as pets, for their sake and yours, do a little homework before you take them home. Be sure you can handle their care, from the day they arrive through their adult lives. There are resources online, in print, and in the form of local individuals and organizations experienced with animal care.

Another option is to adopt rescued animals. They were raised as pets and then dumped. They could surely use a decent home where they are well cared for.

Springtime, for many, is a season for celebrating new life, redemption, and care for one another. Please don’t bring home any cute little fuzzy, feathered, furry “babies” only to abandon them to a cruel fate. That’s not what this season is about.

Tractor Supply has agreed to post information to discourage dumping, also, beginning this year. I have not seen their publication, but Majestic Waterfowl has been encouraging them, I believe.

Congratulations Vickers58!

For what it's worth, here is the text of a letter to the editor I sent out a couple of years ago.

Spring is coming! And among the dreams and temptations, perhaps more for those with children, will come the appeal of precious little chicks and ducklings and bunnies (a.k.a. kits).
Sorry for this, a bit of on a tangent but isn't a kit a baby ferret and a baby rabbit a kitten?

Just searched it and apparently they are called kits or kittens
maxpedley, I want to let you know that correcting my vocabulary is a fine thing - I don't recall my source for that bit of information, good you brought it up. DuckyGurl, thanks, too, for weighing in.

There are all kinds of fascinating words, as well as regional differences. I grew up where Pepsi was soda. Later I moved to where it was pop.

Speaking of Majestic, Vickers58 you might find some good material on their pages.

Carolina Waterfowl, and some other rescue groups may be able to provide some case histories, too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom