I'm going to beat my fiancé

Tara Black

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
Dover DE
So my sweet and wonderful fiancé bought me chickens and we've had some ups and downs with them, but I love having my chickens and couldn't see life without them now. We currently have 10 chickens in our coop and 20 chicks. We have 2 young BLRW Roos and we are sure we have 1 LB Roo, and we are iffy on another. I can't have Roos where I live because my neighbors are kind of close and I value their friendship, so I know its just a matter of time before I have to rehome them. In the meantime though, I am fond of the little buggers and they are pretty sweet, so I'm trying to hold out. So at 6:30 this morning we are both sound asleep and I am sleeping very deeply (something that never happens) I hear very loud and constant crowing, that wakes us both out of a dead sleep. I look at him and say "Crap! We have Roos!" and we both jump out of bed and run outside, I arrived halfway down the porch steps (my coop is next to my porch and my attached run uses the porches support beams to fence it in and the porch itself as a roof/shelter from rain) and I have all of my chickens staring at me like I'm insane, and not a one of them crowing! At that point my fiancé has gotten pants on and come on the back porch and asked who the offender was, only for me to say "I have clue." That's when he figures out where the loud and obnoxious crowing came from and announces "Oh! It's the alarm on my phone!" Needless to say, his alarm is now back to making quiet cricket sounds and I want to throttle him with a frying pan, on top of the fact that I'm tired and got woken over an hour before I had to.

LOL! Oh, poor chickies are like, "what did we do?"
gig.gif

I've got 10 chicks this year and so far have one definite roo, he is so cute and sweet though. I'm thinking he is going to be just like his dad--including a wimpy crow.

LOL!  Oh, poor chickies are like, "what did we do?"  :gig

I've got 10 chicks this year and so far have one definite roo, he is so cute and sweet though.  I'm thinking he is going to be just like his dad--including a wimpy crow.

I wish these guys would have wimpy crows or that I could some how keep them from crowing, because they are so beautiful! The BLRW are stunning and going to be very handsome Roos! As for my LB they are one of my favorite breeds and I would love more, but a 12lb Roo isn't going to sound so wimpy :(

By LB do you mean Light Brahma? I have come to figure out how a rooster achieves a wimpy crow or a stately crow. It's all in the technique (the following will prove that I am a crazy chicken lady.) Anyhow, the key to a strong and boisterous crow involves puffing out one's chest, thrusting the head back and belting out your own melody. My one rooster, Ruben, does not apply any of these techniques to his crow; he simply throws his head forward and bends his neck in an odd, slightly painful looking way and comes out with a raspy noise. LOL!
lau.gif

Last edited:
My wife thought it would be cute to have a rooster crow for her ring tone.

Until she realized that if her phone rang when she was at home she'd never know it for all the real rooster crowing going on outside! :p

I once had a hen cackling for my ring tone. Until one day my wife accidentally called my number while we were in a large room full of people. All of a sudden this loud cackling sound broke out leading a friend who had not heard it before to say "what the heck was that?"

I replied, "Oh, it's just my wife. You can ignore it."

I've still got that knot on the back of my head...

LOL! Oh, poor chickies are like, "what did we do?"
gig.gif

I've got 10 chicks this year and so far have one definite roo, he is so cute and sweet though. I'm thinking he is going to be just like his dad--including a wimpy crow.
My young boys start out with wimpy funny sounding crows but they eventually figure it out and get better with some practice.

By LB do you mean Light Brahma?  I have come to figure out how a rooster achieves a wimpy crow or a stately crow.  It's all in the technique (the following will prove that I am a crazy chicken lady.)  Anyhow, the key to a strong and boisterous crow involves puffing out one's chest, thrusting the head back and belting out your own melody.  My one rooster, Ruben, does not apply any of these techniques to his crow; he simply throws his head forward and bends his neck in an odd, slightly painful looking way and comes out with a raspy noise.  LOL! :lau

Yes LB is for Light Brahma. I did manage to find a very quiet Roo (Mille Fleur Bantam Cochin) at a swap this weekend and you can't even hear him from 20ft away so he is our newest addition. I have found a home for my large fowl Roos, thankfully.

lau.gif
I can just picture that scenario too! Poor thing! I'm sure that really had you startled, I know it would me! Just a few weeks ago, I had to re-home a sweet roo myself. You CERTAINLY don't want the neighbors mad at you! Thanks for the laugh!

Back
Top Bottom