1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Im going to squeeze them...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smom1976, Sep 18, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    [​IMG]

Ok so the ladies are turning 20 weeks tomorrow.

I just put in 4 inches of pine chips in each of the 8 nest boxes. And a golf ball. I have everyone saving their egg cartons, (I have a good stack) and have switched them to layer feed.

All that is left to do is to start squeezing them.. [​IMG]

2. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I waited and waited and waited for my girls to start laying. I had everyone saving their egg cartons. I even went to a local restaurant and asked them to save me their egg flats. Each flat hold 2 1/2 dozen eggs.

I then waited and waited and waited. I would go to the chicken house each night and give the girls a pep talk. No luck.

One day I was looking around the chicken house and I stepped on something hard that turned really soft after I stepped on it. I dug around in the shavings to find hidden eggs all over the floor buried under the shavings. I guess they would scratch out a nest and lay the egg and then cover it up. I guess they thought they were sea turtles. I have no idea. I disposed of all the eggs that were buried. I made a really cool nest box out of a 5 gallon bucket and screwed it to the wall. I took the old wooden one down. I then placed a golf ball in the new nest. They all now lay in the bucket. I go in every night and collect the nice, neat pile of eggs laying in the pine shavings. No more hidden eggs.

I bet those hens thought I was crazy talking to them. Probably cackling to themselves after I left.

Good luck. The eggs will come. Sometimes you just have to look for them.

Darin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by