Nesting boxes

My hens are new layers- about 2 weeks now. They are consistently laying in the corners of their coop. Should I just build nesting boxes in the corners or should I block them off? I tried to put golf balls in the real nesting boxes. Keeping it clean, not sure what else to do. I use pine shavings.

Thanks!
What nesting material do you use for their boxes maybe they like pine shavings ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I guess you could build nest boxes I'm the corners. Can you post a photo of you coop?

My hens are new layers- about 2 weeks now. They are consistently laying in the corners of their coop. Should I just build nesting boxes in the corners or should I block them off? I tried to put golf balls in the real nesting boxes. Keeping it clean, not sure what else to do. I use pine shavings.

Thanks!
One thing I have figured out now that mine are laying is: They will lay their eggs just about anywhere they want to!! LOL I am now having to keep mine locked up most of the day and only letting them out in the late afternoon until they figure out the nest boxes. Speaking of nest boxes....I have some beautiful mounted boxes but they insist on laying in a milk crate UNDER my poop boards which mean I have to crawl on my hands and knees to fetch them. But at least it's not on the floor...I have those nest box pads from TSC and they seem to like them so far but only in the milk crate. Crazy birds.....

86F77463-40AB-4CC0-A31B-F94B7F8B3294.jpeg
4BC66E62-9CB7-4C6E-8400-57DC6EC10560.jpeg

Thanks!
I'm having the exact same problem. I kept waiting and waiting for the first eggs, checking the nest boxes daily, nothing. Then last Saturday I opened up the coop and there were two piles of eggs (I only have two hens old enough to lay right now) six in each pile. So they'd been laying for a week and I didn't know it. I've got five nest boxes with fake grass nest pads in them. There are ceramic eggs in each of four, but they are insisting on laying in the very back corner of the coop. Not only is this annoying but I built my coop 3 ft off the ground, so I'm having the use a small ladder to get up in the coop and then reach with a pole thing I made to get the eggs. I also use pine shavings in the coop, deep litter method. Should I pile some shavings on top of the fake grass? Install curtains on the front of the nest boxes, even though the entire coop is quite dark? If anyone else has ideas other than those mentioned, I'm sure we'd all appreciate reading them. Thanks in advance. Nest boxes are 12" off the floor but still 14" below the lowest roost bar.

Back
Top Bottom