Wet nesting box

Cseaman17

Hatching
Mar 27, 2024
My chickens more recently have been leaving a wet spot in the nesting boxes. Yesterday I cleaned the nesting box out and put new pine shavings. Today we collected 6 eggs. I have six chickens. And there was two wet spots in the box. After inspection it didn't smell like poop and was clear and mucusy.
1000005694.jpg
1000005692.jpg

Even though I have six chickens and collected six eggs?
Yes, sometimes one will lay two eggs in a row, and only one got enough calcium on it to make a shell. Also, the goo could be from the previous day. It soaks into the shavings, but doesn't really evaporate.

Try to figure out which bird this is. Laying no-shell eggs can turn into a health issue.

Yes, sometimes one will lay two eggs in a row, and only one got enough calcium on it to make a shell. Also, the goo could be from the previous day. It soaks into the shavings, but doesn't really evaporate.

Try to figure out which bird this is. Laying no-shell eggs can turn into a health issue.
Can I give them a some kind of food to help with thin shells?

That clear viscous wetness is evidence of a shell-less egg. You have a hen that needs treatment with a calcium supplement to address it or she may end up suffering an episode of egg binding as eggs without shells are difficult to pass.

Do your best to monitor that box to identify which hen it is if you are able. Remove eggs as they are laid and try to rule out the hens that are laying them. When you discover the hen behind the shell-less eggs, give her a calcium citrate tablet each day until she's producing eggs with normal shells. This is the calcium I recommend as it is quickly absorbed. Get it at Walmart.

People often assume that it's impossible for a hen to lay more than a single egg per day. In a large number of egg binding episodes, two eggs are involved, often one is normal and the other is shell-less. The calcium therapy will also help to regulate the ovulation to avoid these double eggs which increase the danger of egg binding.
P1010010.jpeg

That clear viscous wetness is evidence of a shell-less egg. You have a hen that needs treatment with a calcium supplement to address it or she may end up suffering an episode of egg binding as eggs without shells are difficult to pass.

Do your best to monitor that box to identify which hen it is if you are able. Remove eggs as they are laid and try to rule out the hens that are laying them. When you discover the hen behind the shell-less eggs, give her a calcium citrate tablet each day until she's producing eggs with normal shells. This is the calcium I recommend as it is quickly absorbed. Get it at Walmart.

People often assume that it's impossible for a hen to lay more than a single egg per day. In a large number of egg binding episodes, two eggs are involved, often one is normal and the other is shell-less. The calcium therapy will also help to regulate the ovulation to avoid these double eggs which increase the danger of egg binding.
View attachment 3783876
If I can't figure out what chicken it is could I just give it to all of them? I work full time so it is very hard for me to monitor and find out.

A hen that is passing shell-less eggs will often behave differently due to the discomfort of a shell-less egg. The most common thing you will see with such a hen is that prior to her going into the nest box, she will stand still in the run, acting "off". She will be silent where the other hens are very vocal just before they head in to a nest to lay.

Giving the calcium tablets to all the hens is not advisable as the hen that needs this treatment may require a daily tablet for as long as one week. This amount of extra calcium when not needed can be hard on the kidneys.

On your days off, observe your hens. Or have a child watch them if you have kids that help with the chickens.

A hen that is passing shell-less eggs will often behave differently due to the discomfort of a shell-less egg. The most common thing you will see with such a hen is that prior to her going into the nest box, she will stand still in the run, acting "off". She will be silent where the other hens are very vocal just before they head in to a nest to lay.

Giving the calcium tablets to all the hens is not advisable as the hen that needs this treatment may require a daily tablet for as long as one week. This amount of extra calcium when not needed can be hard on the kidneys.

On your days off, observe your hens. Or have a child watch them if you have kids that help with the chickens.
How do you give a chicken a pill?

Back
Top Bottom