Are my chicks looking to nest?

Sammy Sam

Songster
Dec 8, 2023
March 16th my chickens will be 16 weeks old and when I went to clean the coop, they had made a mess! They’ve never rooted around in the coop in their shavings and today they had the pine shavings in areas I had a ledge to keep shavings out of. I think they might of do that last night, because I noticed they went in the coop earlier than normal. Question, are they looking for a place to nest? I have their nest boxes blocked off until this weekend, is when I planned on unblocking them. At 16 weeks, to start laying, just seems young! They’re still eating chick feed, their feed will also be switched this weekend.

Are their combs pretty red? 16 weeks is early but not unheard of, especially for higher production breeds or hybrids. But yes it's possible some of them are getting close to laying and their instincts tell them to start looking for safe places to lay.

I would unblock the nests and put some fake eggs or golf balls in them.

Are their combs pretty red? 16 weeks is early but not unheard of, especially for higher production breeds or hybrids. But yes it's possible some of them are getting close to laying and their instincts tell them to start looking for safe places to lay.

I would unblock the nests and put some fake eggs or golf balls in them.
Only one chickens comb is red, the other 4 are just a little. I’ll unblock their boxes and get them ready. Thank you.

Edit: This morning, two are really red :)

Last edited:
To me 16 weeks is not a chick anymore and I'd make sure they have all that they need to lay. It's okay to use up your chick feed as long as you offer oyster shells. As long as the nest boxes are lower than roost bars, they shouldn't really be trying to sleep in them so no reason to keep them blocked. They'll probably starting going in and checking them out and then lay soon. Exciting!! :clap

To me 16 weeks is not a chick anymore and I'd make sure they have all that they need to lay. It's okay to use up your chick feed as long as you offer oyster shells. As long as the nest boxes are lower than roost bars, they shouldn't really be trying to sleep in them so no reason to keep them blocked. They'll probably starting going in and checking them out and then lay soon. Exciting!! :clap
The nest mats come some time today and I just shopped around for the oyster shell dish, I had a make shift dish for their grit, but these dishes are perfect for my 5 hens. I do have some hay, maybe I’ll use that and then add the mats tomorrow? Yes, exciting! They’re getting so big🥰

Attachments

• IMG_1503.jpeg
    IMG_1503.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 5
The nest mats come some time today and I just shopped around for the oyster shell dish, I had a make shift dish for their grit, but these dishes are perfect for my 5 hens. I do have some hay, maybe I’ll use that and then add the mats tomorrow? Yes, exciting! They’re getting so big🥰
Good plan! Very pretty little flock! I use everything from Timothy and Flock Fresh (chopped up straw,) on top of a bed of Alfalfa or a pad. They like the hay to pull around them and hide, like "hey I was never here, no egg laying is going on here."

Back
Top Bottom