I'm going to try integrating my chicks tomorrow

TheSpiceGirls

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Bay Area, CA
My three BO chicks are 7.5 weeks old and getting much to big for their temporary pen.

I've moved them outside into the big girls run. And they are spending their first night outside tonight. YEA!!!

I'm going to try letting them out with my adult BO and JG tomorrow. They've been looking at each other for a week now so they are used to each other. And I'll set up a "panic room" for the babies to escape from the big hens. And I'll sit with them to see what happens.

I don't expect it to go perfect tomorrow. But I'm hopeful if I keep doing this slowly, that I can fully integrate them over the next week or two. They are ready to have full use of the big girls run and I'm ready to get them out there.

Wish me luck!

Good luck. I usually don't integrate until they are at least 12 weeks and preferably 16 weeks.

I have a few 7 week old chicks in with their broody mama and two other hens... in two weeks they'll all go to the big coop.

I have had my now 8 week old chicks in with my 4 big girls for couple of weeks now i did the same had a cage in the big run that they went into in the day time and then one day i just thought right its time ,i let the big girls free range around the lawn and then let the babies out i think when i plet the big girls back in they thought they had been in there all the time they just didnt realise
gig.gif
,there has been a bit of chacing for the first week nothing serious and they allowed the babies to sleep in there bedroom on the first night bless them ,and now 2 weeks later they allow them to scratch with them and eat everything they sometimes have to tell them off as you can imagine but the babies have just learnt not to mess with them ,i have even added a 7 week old frizzle and arracanna just 2 days ago and the big girls havent bothered one bit with them all so far is going fantastic i couldnt have wished for a better outcome,
fl.gif
harmony stays within the coop ,the big hens didnt go out untill they were 16 weeks old but in saying that it was winter and its summer here now very very hot i defo recomend people getting baby chicks in the summer soooooo much easier .
Good luck with your babies and just keep checking on them
thumbsup.gif

Thanks All. I'm about to go outside now. I read a few posts about people who build out a panic room that has an opening only big enough for the babies. But I'm not show how to do that. I created a fenced off area with an opening that I thought was small enough for just the babies. But I picked up my BO who's just shy of 5 lbs and set her in front and she just squeezed right in. So that obviously won't work.

Oh well, let's see how this goes.

Well, it wasn't a total disaster. I let the two big hens out into the big yard, which they love.

Then I let the three babies out in the chicken run and they had a ball, running, jumping, flapping their wings. And there is a surprising amount of pecking that goes on just between the three.

So after about 5 minutes, it stated to rain and my diva big girls wanted back in. My BO immediately went for the babies and got one good peck in. So now they know to stay clear of her and her alpha sister the JG. But I just stood there for about a 1/2 hour and they pretty much kept to themselves.

The big girls are not happy and you can tell by their tone of squawking. And they did go for the babies a few more times. But no blood or feather pulling. So there is hope.

They are back behind fences once again. I'll try again later.

thats preety much how mine were they seem to sort themselves out its all part of the pecking order if they was no nasty behaviour im sure all will be good just keep and eye on them ,it does take atleast a week for them to all get along ha ha ha and then the big ones still tell them off if needs be
thumbsup.gif

It was like the big hens needed to show them that they were the big hens and in charge. And if the babies got too close, they'd get a peck. But the big girls didn't go after them and go after them so I'm really pleased with today's events.

Unfortunately, it's super windy outside today and I'm thinking I should go bring them in for the night.

thats what they do and prob still will do months down the line you will know when they are being nasty and if they havent to start with i doubt they will the chicks soon learn ,i never bothered with a safe palce the coop is so big they find there own i never brought mine in at all but it is real warm here at the moment i dont think the wind or rain bother them as long as they have shelter sometimes best not to change things if all is going good , depends how cold it is though you will know if its to cold for them i still go out last thing at night and feel the babies to make sure they are warm and they are always cosy warm make sure they have plenty of straw to huddle into
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom