I'm guessing I won't see eggs till spring from my coturnix then?

Something i read (i think on here) is that a bird will lay when she's good and ready. I have jumbo browns and a&ms that are right at 6 weeks and have started to lay already. I bought some from a guy a few months ago that had to survive a 2 hr car ride (and my buddy stopping to see freinds for a few hours) and they actually laid in the cardboard boxes they were being transported in and haven't stopped laying since!

gotta start a thread on artificial light so i don't hijack ya!

Jumbos don't take any longer than other coturnix... 6-8 weeks, average, though sometimes they will start later or earlier. You'll start seeing eggs soon, especially if you're hearing crowing and seeing the little piles of white foam in the cage from the males.
wink.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Jumbos don't take any longer than other coturnix... 6-8 weeks, average, though sometimes they will start later or earlier. You'll start seeing eggs soon, especially if you're hearing crowing and seeing the little piles of white foam in the cage from the males.
wink.png

FUNNY THATS ALL I HAD FOR YEARS AND THEY NEVER LAID BEFORE 12 WKS OLD, SOMETIMES WENT AS LONG AS 20 WKS.​

Emily Leave Them On A Steady Diet And Put Them Under Artificial Light--- Artificial + Daylight= Total Of 16-18 Hrs / Day. They Will Lay When They Are Ready.

I've not had a jumbo yet that started laying before 8 weeks old, most of them started at more like 10-12 weeks. Some even took longer than 12 weeks, though not many.

How long have you had them? The move could certainly delay them.

They don't need much light to lay, just 'light'. You could get some of those battery-operated tap lights to hang near their cages and just turn them on and off yourself.

I had some last fall that didn't start laying until November, but I'm quite a bit farther south than you are!

I just got my first egg this evening from the last remaining 3 jumbo coturnix babies... 6 1/2 weeks old.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom