I'm hatchin' me some eggs. With some help for you?

Puddle Foot Farm

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Maryland
Okay guys. I'm CRAVING some new chicks, and my mom refuses to let me order some new ones until next spring. So.. Since we have a rooster, and I know he's doing his job [ I just checked one of the eggs, it's definitely fertile ], my mom said I could try and hatch some.
I'm going to make a simple improvised cardboard incubator to the best of my ability, but I have some [or two hundred] questions..
How long can I keep the eggs until I put them into the 'bator? We get two eggs daily, so how many days can I collect before I have to put them in the incubator? How should I store them while I'm waiting for some more?
I'm confused about this humidity thing. Do I put in water for the last three days only, or should I keep it at a certain humidity for the whole time?
The temperature should be a 96-98 the whole time, right?
Can I open the incubator to turn the eggs? How often should I do it?
And, please give me any other advice you can! I'm planning on starting to incubate them in a couple weeks, depending on my school/play/applying to college schedule.
Thanks in advance!
~Chelsea

Edited to add:
The chicks should be sex link/Ameraucana [on mother's side] crosses. Will we be able to tell the sexes when they're born? And will they lay green eggs?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused about this humidity thing. Do I put in water for the last three days only, or should I keep it at a certain humidity for the whole time? the whole time if i understand correctly
The temperature should be a 96-98 the whole time, right? the whole time I am pretty sure (edited to say...i was wrong...temp should be higher, check other ppl's replies )
Can I open the incubator to turn the eggs? How often should I do it? yeah, but not longer than necessary to turn the eggs. at least three times a day is my understanding.

I am no authority, and the rest of the questions I don't have a clue...
smile.png

Last edited:
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/hatch.htm

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/poultry/factsheets/8.html

Check
out Miss Prissy's thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8510

Cardboard is not the best material for a homemade incubator.
There is a plethora of "how to's" that are available with the search function.
smile.png

The temps are 99.5°F for a forced air incubator (with a fan) and 101.5°F for a still air. Humidity should be 45-55% the first 18 days, then bumped up to 65-75% the last 3 days.

Check out some of the stickies on incubating...
smile.png

Thanks so much, y'all!
I was planning on doing cardboard with insulation inside of cardboard, and then having it lined with aluminum foil [I saw that someone on the site did this?]. My mom refuses to buy anything except for the thermometers, so anything other than that is a no-no.
hmm.png

Keep the advice coming, please! I need it.
big_smile.png

Check out Ms. Prissy's incubator for a do-it-yourself home model. You might have to use some of your own money to buy the heating unit and a few other things like a humidity reader (Wallmart 7 bucks), but for beginners like u and me, I'd use styrofoam. its insulated, keeps heat in and pretty regular. Be sure to drill a few holes inside to let SOME heat and humidity escape. Good luck!

Quote:
I made one like that, out of a cardboard box, with sheet styrofoam lining, and I 'sealed' the seems with duct tape. I still haven't been able to regulate the temp in it. It is now being used as a brooder, and i just take my chances with hatching and incubating in the same bator.

Hmm.. If only I didn't work for my mom and could stand being in Wal-Mart..
lol.png

I'll have to try to rustle up some sort of cooler or something.. Tomorrow.
Again thanks for all the advice, but I lost my script and can't think chickens when the play is at stake.. Well, more like my head for losing a script. Eeek. :eek:

You might check with your local veterinarian... sometimes they get really nice foam boxes for their meds that have to be chilled... they might set one aside for you if you ask real nice.
big_smile.png

Thanks! My mom gave in to buying one somewhere.. I think she's secretly excited to hatch our own chicks.
But, I still want to know.. Will I be able to tell the gender of the chicks if they're sex link*ameraucanas? And will their eggs be green/blue?

Back
Top Bottom