I'm hatching ducks! Finally.

cleoandtheflock

Crowing
Jan 16, 2019
Georgia
Howdy y'all!
I have a broody chicken hen, and I want ducks. So I obviously bought 4 chocolate runner duck and 2 Cayuga duck eggs from Metzer farms.:D:lau
They should hatch on April 20th!! I'm very EGG-cited, but I have never had ducks so I need help. I did lots of research before and after buying the eggs (don't worry I have definitely never bought birds just because I want them (well that one hen at the poultry show.....never mind that). But really I know lots more about ducks than I ever thought I would. I just need help from all those duck lovers on BYC to help me with unanswered questions

questions to start off with:
Have any of y'all ever hatched duck eggs under a broody? Whats your EGG-sperience with it? Also I heard duck hens make awful ma's, is this true?
THANK YOU!

Last edited:
How egg-citing ! I've hatched many ducklings/chicks under ducks, most mothers are great moms, although you will occasionally have a mother who will try to peck/attack her ducklings, so having a incubator or heat lamp just in case would be a good idea. Any more questions you have we'd be glad to answer!

How egg-citing ! I've hatched many ducklings/chicks under ducks, most mothers are great moms, although you will occasionally have a mother who will try to peck/attack her ducklings, so having a incubator or heat lamp just in case would be a good idea. Any more questions you have we'd be glad to answer!
Just realized I didn't specify in my post she is a chicken hen.

Howdy y'all!
I have a broody chicken hen, and I want ducks. So I obviously bought 4 chocolate runner duck and 2 Cayuga duck eggs from Metzer farms.:D:lau
They should hatch on April 20th!! I'm very EGG-cited, but I have never had ducks so I need help. I did lots of research before and after buying the eggs (don't worry I have definitely never bought birds just because I want them (well that one hen at the poultry show.....never mind that). But really I know lots more about ducks than I ever thought I would. I just need help from all those duck lovers on BYC to help me with unanswered questions

questions to start off with:
Have any of y'all ever hatched duck eggs under a broody? Whats your EGG-sperience with it? Also I heard duck hens make awful ma's, is this true?
THANK YOU!
Yay!! Mine just hatched not to long ago!

Back
Top Bottom