I'm having a really bad day with my flock today

goldfinches

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2011
Maryland
They've made me cry. First, my BR rooster attacked me, spurred me and scratched my legs all up this morning. I have decided I have to try to rehome him, I can't take a chance that he'll go after one of my children. I don't know, though, if this is wise, what if he can't be rehabilitated? I don't know if I could handle someone eating him.
Then, my one week old red laced blue wyndotte died in my hands today. I could tell she wasn't right when she arrived, but I had hoped I just didn't understand how she should look and act. Her wings were stubby, and she had a pasty butt every day. I tried vitamins and love today, when she started going downhill, but it didn't work and now she's gone. What an awful feeling.

Oh, I just realized it's my BLRW in my profile pic
hit.gif

Last edited:
Sorry about your loss. It does sound like you had a hard day. I can understand if you have young kids that you would want to rehome the rooster. Of course you need to let any one who might take him in that he has been human aggressive, so folks might be more interested in making him into dinner rather than a pet. The other option is keeping him in the chicken run. There is no right answer you, really. You will figure out what works best for you.

So sad for you....it's always hard to lose one.
sad.png
As for your Roo, you could try to rehabilitate him yourself for you are the boss. There's a thread on here that tells you to try a few different things first before you actually have to give him a boot in the rear. Re-homing him won't resolve his bad behavior and you definitely don't want him to go after you again or your kids needless to say or to whomever rehomed him. Hope your day gets better!

Last edited:
I would love to try to rehabilitate him, but am scared that, even if he decides to respect me, he would maybe go after the kids.

I would absolutely advertise him as humanly aggressive. Maybe he needs a home with only adults, no children, or maybe other roos?

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like your day's been awful.
hugs.gif

Imho, it can't hurt to try to rehome him. Maybe give it a couple weeks and if you can't find somewhere in that time, THEN you can explore other options??

I had to rehome an unexpected roo; I can relate to not wanting him to be eaten. Gl

((hugs)) i had a VERY similar situation a few wks ago--only Roo was fine with me and hated MEN. lol...we rehomed my baby though
sad.png
I have a 2 yr old and 4 yr old and the risk was too great but DID find a home where he was going to be in a coop with new girls as their flock protector and the people new he could be agressive and didnt care
tongue.png
There used to roo's! GL...just wanted you to know...been there!

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm going to list him on craigslist tonight, and visit my neighbor tomorrow. She has oodles of birds, she probably doesn't need another, but doesn't hurt to ask.

My 5 year old was out swinging on her swingset tonight and got too close to the run. She jumped, and Brady, (the roo), jumped up and flapped at her. That was the last straw for me.

Am sorry about your chick, and your roo issue.

With our roo, I have the hardest time trying to catch him, but my youngest (4 years) can go right over and scoop him up. No scratching, or pecking. Today I was shelling peanuts, and hand feeding Owl (our roo), he was waiting so patiently while I shelled them. I even open palmed the peanuts & he was very gentle about getting them from my hand. He is getting more frisky with the girls though.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom