I'm having troubles with water!

kazskoop

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
I have only 16 in my flock, but I water with two 5 gallon waters fresh water all the time. Recently they started leaking and it get the floor of my coop all wet! It's no fun cleaning it everyday plus now my floor is warped! It started around the time I got ducks and silkies, I don't know if they have anything to do with it? I know ducks are very messy. What could I do so it doesn't leak all over my floor?!

First - take the waterer out of the coop. It doesn't need to be in there.

Next - What kind of waterer is it? Can't help much without that kind of information. Brand, plastic/metal, etc.

Poultry Fountain- Auto waterer It's a plastic, but I don't want my chickens to be in danger at night with no water because they're in the coop and a run area at night. Sometimes the pullets don't like to leave the coop at night, they won't even leave for grain I'd like for them to have water.

Poultry Fountain- Auto waterer It's a plastic, but I don't want my chickens to be in danger at night with no water because they're in the coop and a run area at night. Sometimes the pullets don't like to leave the coop at night, they won't even leave for grain I'd like for them to have water.
They don't need water at night if they are past the brooder stage. Mine have had the water and feed outside the coop since age 3 weeks. They can easily make it through the night without drinking/eating. They won't eat or drink anyway if there isn't any light on.

My water is way outside of the coop. They're fine without water in the coop at night. I have a metal double wall fountain and it SUCKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Leaks. The plastic ones leaked for me as well. No winning!

If you do some searching you'll find many posts on the board for waterers using nipples which are much less messy. That said I don't know if ducks will drink from them but maybe would be OK for overnite. We haven't had any water in the coop at night and the birds seem fine. When they come out in the morning it's clear that they want food much more than water as they run to the feeding area to have a look around. If you can set the nipples near the house you might want to have the water source inside:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/672358/my-chicken-watering-solution#post_9117576

Back
Top Bottom