I'm heartbroken...and scared for him.

I am so very sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
The best thing to do will be to get him some new companions as quickly as possible. You may not be able to put them together right away, but you can put them where he can hear them and they can "talk" to each other. Do whatever you can to distract him.

I agree about the Rescue Remedy. Rooster Booster is another good product you might try.

sad.png

How heartbreaking. I hope he makes it. I'm real new at this but I have found that if you hold them over your heartbeat or at least under your chin they seem to calm down and relax completely...maybe it reminds them of being under their mom?

I've got one REALLY flighty/freaked out bird and when I hold her and croon softly to her she puts her head on my shoulder and just sighs when she totally relaxes.

Oh, I'm so sorry
hit.gif
We gave our BO, Brunhilde, to a farm last spring only to find out a month ago that she was killed by a dog. That was really nasty because the farm's former flock (before Bruny) had been killed by the SAME DOG. I like to think that she died getting the rest of the flock to safety, as she was the "rooster". At least we know she was extremely happy for that last part of her life. Acres and acres of crops to dig up LOL once she ruined a crop of potatoes by dustbathing in it!
hit.gif

Anyway, good luck on Mr. Mom and his half sis and your BRs.
hugs.gif

What a sad story! My condolences
hugs.gif

I looked at your photos and you have (had) some beautiful birds--I hope you can keep up with breeding them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well....not entirely.

You are definetly taking it better then I would. All my neighbors know if a dog or other creature enters my property with ill intent it will be met with bad intentions. It is the owners responsibility to maintain control of their animals but it is ours to protect our animals. If not then we are also at fault.

Again you are taking it better then I would and it is good he is paying you for damages. Now it is time to dog proof the coop and run and maybe it might be good for the neighbor to see you cleaning a gun in your front yard. He may start thinking about securing his next dog.

Oh and animals are creatures of instinct and are unpredictable. All they need is something to trigger them.

jeremy

Last edited:
The coop WAS dog-proofed. The dog tore threw the wall to get into the run...which held the coop which WAS possum proof and we thought dog-proof...being that it was elevated. Then again...that coop is generally the safest because of the barn walls being on all sides of it. Little did we know the dog would actually go THROUGH the wall.

jjthink, thank you. I guess I missed your reply originally. They had their fencing completely hot-wired and the dog was behind a double fence. I mean...we both thought there was no way for them to get out. But, somehow she did. I suppose the reason I'm not as angry as I should be...is because they did everything they could to keep their dog within the confines of it's yard, and I did everything I could to keep my birds safe from predators and from pets. It's just one of those accidental things that happens to those of us who risk raising birds. I'm sorry it had to happen and I will cry each time I look up at the run, but what's done is done...and there's no way to change it. We just have to keep moving on or stop dead in our tracks. I don't know....but stopping dead just seems too boring to me.

Back
Top Bottom