I'm hurting....

zman

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Fairfield
sad.png
I wen tout this morning to feed my girls and noticed olny two were running around.. Went I went in to the pen, I saw it, a skunk was in the corner with my wifes little Polish Babs, it had killed her. I was so broken. I grabbed my other girls and penned them in the garage (they are still there) and went after the skunk. It got away, but not until after I clubbed it across the yard. I can't believe it happened..she was such a sweet girl..miss personality... and people still don't understand how we get attached to these magnificent little creatures. I love you babs...I'm so sorry.

I know how you feel.
Years ago I lost my my favorite hen. She was walking across the field with the other chickens and a hawk flew down and snapped her neck. Death was instant.
I swore I would never get anymore chickens, she was so unique but years later I now have 60 chickens but none as special as she was.

I am sorry for your loss. I hope you are getting a trap to catch your varmit.. He'll be back.. they learn early where to find an easy meal.

I'm so sorry you lost your hen to a skunk......wow, I never knew a skunk would be such a predator......how'd it get in? Only asking so others will know how to prevent an attack like that....Just when you think it's safe, all it takes is a skunk or o'possum to make you think different.....I'm so sorry...poor girl. It's always the sweetest hen that goes first......
hugs.gif

zman, I am so sorry for your and your wife's loss of Babs. I lost a bunch of chickens this summer, and have decided that electric fencing will help me protect my flock. Total cost is less then $150.00 for a large area, and I think and hope it's money well spent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom