I'm in a sticky situation..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover2399, Nov 16, 2011.

1. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quite a sticky one at that. My runner cross drake, got quite curious yesterday and wandered into my dads shed. (That was for some reason open.) We keep our rat traps in there and the one he got into was (thank god) just a sticky one. The only problem is, is that he layed on it. I found him yesterday night, i couldnt do anything about him then because it was completely dark and i couldnot catch him.
    I took him and carefully cut the sticky death device off. I let him wander around for awhile to see if he would get into our backyard koi pond, and wash the glue off. Well it has been almost a day and he hasn't gotten any of it off. It is getting extremely cold here in Oklahoma, and I don't want this to affect him. Should I maybe try bringing him in and getting the glue carefully off? Or letting him swim in some warm water for a little bit? He is my baby so I can do almost anything to him without him hurting himself, if knowing that helps.

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I think I would try bringing the drake in, and smearing peanut butter all over the sticky feathers. I know, it sounds worse, but this works with a lot of sticky messes. Then wash the peanut butter off with Dawn dish soap. Good luck!!

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Vegetable oil should help get the sticky off

4. Lund Poultry

Lund Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, WI
    feathers grow back in roughly 6 weeks. Is he completely covered to the skin on all feathers? you can cut them back, but cut feathers do not GROW back they only are replaced once they molt out. I myself would put on a rubber glove and just pluck the feathers that have the glue on them. Just make sure he has access to clean water to take a dip and someplace out of the elements and he should be fine.

5. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    The thing is almost his whole chest is covered in it! I don't have any peanut butter [​IMG] and I can't go get any. I think I'll try vegetable oil in a little while.

6. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    While working at a pet store that used the sticky glue traps we would use veggy or baby oil to get the stuck animals out. I have used it on feathered, furred and scaled critters and it works well. Just takes some patience.

7. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Thank so much! This helps lots!

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'd be careful because many of the glue traps have chemicals in them to put the rodent to sleep.

I found an old one that I had TomCat brand with Eugenol "a natural anesthetic" in it. It says to use mineral spirits to remove then wash with mild detergent if accidentally touched.

9. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Good luck, Duckie!

10. DuckLover2399

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:He hasn't been acting any different. I will be sure to keep a close eye though. Like I could use dawn?

@ Luv- What are you doing? Stalking me or sumthing? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by