I'm in Fl. How do I get a license to sell my eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelly G, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I read somewhere that you have to attend a class and pay a fee, but I can't find the thread, and people at my office plus family, friends, and neighbors are asking to buy from us!

I know that I can sell as many from my "fence line" as I want to, but to sell off of my property requires a class and license, I think.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    I have been selling eggs for over a year. never heard of a license for that. I am NPIP certified and know the ag inspector for my area and he has never said anything about it and he knows what i do. Just sharing information. I live an hour north of you.

Annika

3. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Ladybug -
    Thanks for your reply. That's what it seems many people are doing...I just want to be sure.

Does anyone else have any information?

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We sell our eggs every day to people all around here and have never heard of or had a problem with selling. Sold 60 dozen last month and hope to be selling 100 dozen by April. I am sure at some point the county would like a person to be licensed because it is considered income and therefore a business. County, state and federal already gets enough of our money. Just one more way to take advantage of people.
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to become a professional egg producer or hatchery.

5. hooksetz

hooksetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I take 20 doz. or so to the sale barn evey week. That's the easiest way for me. They get pretty good money too.

6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Here in NC we can sell up to 30 dozen/week without inspection. They must have farm label/address. Must be labeled "ungraded" unless you do weigh & candle them to sort by grade. Clean, reused cartons are acceptable.

In most states that's governed by the Dept of Agriculture. Here's a link to your FL Dept of Agriculture, Div of Food Safety:

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/fs/

See paragraph 2 on that page:
    The Division is charged with administration and enforcement of the food and poultry and egg laws, and also provides support in the enforcement of other food safety laws.

If you search the site, you can probably find the actual regulations for egg sales.

edited for typo​

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  7. Hoot

Hoot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    Canaveral Groves, FL.
    Hi Kelly,

Great question. I live on the other side of the state from you. Over by Cape Canaveral.

I'll do some research. See what I can find out.

Hoot

8. Hoot

Hoot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    Canaveral Groves, FL.
  9. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    What is NPIP? Why would I want it? Can I sell my eggs at the local barn sale (auction)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by