I'm in love with chickens!

tbmom2boys

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Greetings~
I have already learned so much from this site!! My 11 year old son would be looking at the 'breeds' page on the iPad while I would be looking at it on the computer trying to decide which breeds to start with. My 6 year old son didn't care about the breed... He just wanted a yellow one:). My daughter, who is 2, will just love whatever we get.
After researching on this site, we found a local "chicken lady" and decided on 2 Buff Orpington's, 2 Ameracanas, 2 Barred Rock, and one cute little mystery chicken (when we got home there was a bonus chicken and we have no idea what she is:)
They are currently all snug in a brooder box in our shed. I'm completely obsessed with them! I get up 3-4 time a night to check their temperature and end up just sitting there watching them sleep. They are just so cute!!
We are converting our old wooden swingset/fort into a chicken coop. We live in Texas and I am a bit worried about our super hot summers, but I'm still learning and hope to el better about that by the time summer comes around.
Thanks for all the great pics and tips!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have discovered Chicken Television, you never do get tired of watching do you!
If you want to figure out what your mystery girl is, you dould post her picture on the What Breed Or Gender Is This forum www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
You might also like to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
And it is always fun to check out your state thread for chicken keeping neighbors and what tips they might have for dealing with your local weather https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44/texas

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, nothing better than Chick TV!! You can waste hours a day just staring in the brooder!

Definitely stop by our learning center for lots of good reads on all the aspects of keeping your new flock. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom