I'm in West Michigan

PhatChicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Any other members NEW to raising chickens in West Michigan? I'm in Fruitport and have just begun this year with 8 birds, Isa Browns and Ameraucanas.

Wolgy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014
I'm from Ravenna. I started last spring. Lots of ups and downs. How's your first flock coming along?

PhatChicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Hi!

We are neighbors. I'm in Fruitport. I just stared this spring with 8 chicks and have 7 left. So far, things are going well! It's a lot more work that I expected but still very enjoyable. I can't wait to get my first egg.

You started last spring? How may chickens do you have? layers or fryers?

Angie

Wolgy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014
Hi Angie,
We started last spring with 9. Of those, we have 4 left. I didn't realize how frail chickens are, before I had them. They die frequently for unknown reasons. Since then we have added a bunch more. We bought a incubator and hatched our own 4 Blue-Laced, Red Wyandottes this spring. That was fun, my kids went berzerk watching them hatch! We also have 4 Silkies, which are more like eye candy. They are cute to look at and lay bite sized eggs. I raised 20 Cornish Rock Cross meat birds this spring. Only fed organic feeds. Now that was a lot of work and VERY expensive. My cost was about $16 per bird! Organic feed costs double.

Have you been to the Ravenna small animal auction? It is every Saturday, auction starts at noon. You can sell and buy. I had an abusive Americana rooster that I brought in last week. Oh, and I bought 8 Maran chicks that I didn't plan on, lol. This hobby is addictive, now I need to build another coop!

What breed layers do you have? They should start any day now!

PhatChicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Hi!

Yep, chicken math can be tough! :) I only have 7 because I don't have room for more but am hoping to build a better and bigger coop in a year or two. Then I can get a few more. I would love a few silkies or polish.

Sounds like you caught the chicken bug, for sure! :) I'm not brave enough to try hatching my own. Maybe in a few years. I'll have to check out the auction in Ravenna. That's just down the road from me.

I got my first egg on Saturday and have gotten one every day since. Now I'm just waiting for the others to start laying too. I was pretty excited when I found it that morning. I think my family and friends thought I was nuts because I was so happy over an egg. I figured I invested about $300 in that one egg over the last four months. :)

Have a great week!

Angie

Top Bottom