I'm interested in emus!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kasheare, Aug 30, 2015.

1. kasheare

kasheare New Egg

Aug 30, 2015
    I have been in the horse world my entire life with many performance horses and am actually an equine attorney now. My good friend back east has an emu on her farm and I have fallen in love! I'm looking to add an emu to my small piece of paradise in Scottsdale, AZ. I have an acre horse area fenced with 6 ft block wall. My horse is at a training barn so the whole area would be for the emu. I do have dogs, but am prepared to make the proper adjustments so that everyone is peaceful. I joined here to see if anyone knew of an emu breeder here in AZ and also for all the questions I'm bound to have after I find one. Thanks everyone and I look forward to all the discussions!

2. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! Welcome! [​IMG] My dad raised Emu's for many years here in So Cal. I'm sure he'd be delighted to answer any questions for you if you PM me. Here's a great forum to put a shout out. I think you'll find lots of folks to help you. Good luck!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/49/ostriches-emu-rheas

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm not an emu person but mutt farm has left you great link to check out for all the chat about them.

Wishing you the very best of luck in your search.
    Enjoy BYC :frow

4. chickens r life

chickens r life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    Welcome to byc!!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've known people with emu's through BYC and they had quite the adventure raising them. I don't know how emu would do around horses but, know they try to stomp smaller animals.

6. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Naw...that's just a rumor...[​IMG]

Seriously, they can be very dangerous. They are lightening fast with their feet and can split you or a horse wide open in a hot second.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG]

What type of horse do you have? Do you still compete? If so, in what events?

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. delongcasey

delongcasey New Egg

Oct 8, 2015
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us.

I am looking to buy a pair of emu. We live on 36 acres in junction city GA. I am willing to drive a few hours to get them. Does anyone know of a breeder? Please help.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  10. delongcasey

delongcasey New Egg

Oct 8, 2015
    I am looking to buy emu. Can someone please help me find a local breeder. By local I mean within 200 miles. I am willing to drive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by