I'm interested in getting rabbits ---- Edit: Just caught a dumped Bunny!!!

So if I'm understanding that right, the real difference is not in whether it's fresh or dry, it is in the kind of plant.

When I think "greens" for a rabbit, I think of freshly-picked grass, maybe with some dandelion and plantain and leaves from an apple tree and similar things (which I think would be fine, based on what you said.)

But most people with pet rabbits are getting their "greens" from the grocery store, and it's easier to tell people to limit greens than to teach them what kinds of greens, and then warn them not to pick pesticide-sprayed greens either.

I think that makes sense now. Thank you for explaining.
This is my thought.

How did I never see this thread so long ago?? lol

I see you got a new bunny, Weeg, congrats! Rabbits are awesome pets and I'm sure you'll have tons of good times with Aspen. (Funny, I had a duck with the same name :) )

I read thru the thread from the point you got Aspen up until now... And I can vouch for Small Pet Select. They have great quality hay and pellets that we switched my rabbit to years ago and I've always loved it. In fact, when we've timed orders wrong and had to buy a bag of hay (different brand) as an emergency sometimes my rabbit wouldn't even eat that lol! 😅

Also, I wouldn't stress too much about the diet. Keep her on unlimited hay and make sure she's at least eating that. Offer her bowl of pellets and leave it in the cage, and she'll learn to eat them eventually. And if they're just timothy pellets right now, I wouldn't stress at all about those. I've always said a rabbit can survive without (rabbit) pellets or treats for a while, but they can never survive without hay for long.

I'm out of the norm for this, but I personally don't give my rabbit any greens/veggies daily. They're a treat for him, and were for all my rabbits. (I've lost 2 to sickness over the past few years, so I'm down to one bun now) My rabbit I have has been with me nearly 10 years, he's probably around 11yo, and has always been healthy and happy.
Nothing wrong with feeding greens, but from my own personal opinion/experience I just say: do what you want for your rabbit.

Lastly, I want to say from my own experiences: I wouldn't overly worry about a rabbit dying from shock. Yes, it might be a bit worrisome while Aspen is new to your family and the goings-on at your house, but she will get used to it. Just keep things slow and gradual like you're doing and she should be fine.
Rabbits are incredibly hardy. Yeah, they're prey animals, but I don't think people always give them enough credit. I've housed all my rabbits outdoors and they've been exposed to stray cats, possums and raccoons, all kinds of power tools, and general outdoor weather. Never had an issue. Every now and again they'd run and hide from say the mower (I had one rabbit who was scared of it every time regardless), but they had a walled-in 'barn' in their hutch that they could hide from stuff (just like a hidey house) and they were fine.
My one rabbit, the 11yo I mentioned, doesn't bat an eye at power tools, loves to sit out in rain storms, and shows no signs of slowing down due to age. Other people may have different experiences, but I think sometimes we tend to over-worry about what could kill or harm our rabbits. That's not to say don't be cautious, but this is just the flip side of things.

Over time you will get to know your bun and go thru your own experiences and learn from them; both for Aspen and any future rabbits you get. Trust me, this is coming from a HUGE worry-wort lol!

Of course, all info on this thread is really great and I loved reading it...sorry for the long post, but I feel as if I have a different viewpoint on things than other people and wanted to chime in. :)

How did I never see this thread so long ago?? lol

I see you got a new bunny, Weeg, congrats! Rabbits are awesome pets and I'm sure you'll have tons of good times with Aspen. (Funny, I had a duck with the same name :) )

I read thru the thread from the point you got Aspen up until now... And I can vouch for Small Pet Select. They have great quality hay and pellets that we switched my rabbit to years ago and I've always loved it. In fact, when we've timed orders wrong and had to buy a bag of hay (different brand) as an emergency sometimes my rabbit wouldn't even eat that lol! 😅

Also, I wouldn't stress too much about the diet. Keep her on unlimited hay and make sure she's at least eating that. Offer her bowl of pellets and leave it in the cage, and she'll learn to eat them eventually. And if they're just timothy pellets right now, I wouldn't stress at all about those. I've always said a rabbit can survive without (rabbit) pellets or treats for a while, but they can never survive without hay for long.

I'm out of the norm for this, but I personally don't give my rabbit any greens/veggies daily. They're a treat for him, and were for all my rabbits. (I've lost 2 to sickness over the past few years, so I'm down to one bun now) My rabbit I have has been with me nearly 10 years, he's probably around 11yo, and has always been healthy and happy.
Nothing wrong with feeding greens, but from my own personal opinion/experience I just say: do what you want for your rabbit.

Lastly, I want to say from my own experiences: I wouldn't overly worry about a rabbit dying from shock. Yes, it might be a bit worrisome while Aspen is new to your family and the goings-on at your house, but she will get used to it. Just keep things slow and gradual like you're doing and she should be fine.
Rabbits are incredibly hardy. Yeah, they're prey animals, but I don't think people always give them enough credit. I've housed all my rabbits outdoors and they've been exposed to stray cats, possums and raccoons, all kinds of power tools, and general outdoor weather. Never had an issue. Every now and again they'd run and hide from say the mower (I had one rabbit who was scared of it every time regardless), but they had a walled-in 'barn' in their hutch that they could hide from stuff (just like a hidey house) and they were fine.
My one rabbit, the 11yo I mentioned, doesn't bat an eye at power tools, loves to sit out in rain storms, and shows no signs of slowing down due to age. Other people may have different experiences, but I think sometimes we tend to over-worry about what could kill or harm our rabbits. That's not to say don't be cautious, but this is just the flip side of things.

Over time you will get to know your bun and go thru your own experiences and learn from them; both for Aspen and any future rabbits you get. Trust me, this is coming from a HUGE worry-wort lol!

Of course, all info on this thread is really great and I loved reading it...sorry for the long post, but I feel as if I have a different viewpoint on things than other people and wanted to chime in. :)
Thank for taking the time to write such an informative post, I really appreciate it. :D
I just ordered her some Small Pet Select, and picked up a small bag of SunSeeds until it arrives.
Thank you for your reassurance, I'm a huge worry wort haha, but am probably not going Aspen enough credit for how strong she is. I'll continue to see how it goes and make a decision then. Wether outdoors is her permanent housing, or our garage, she'll definitely be spending some time in the house, so that we can bond, and have a strong relationship.

Aspen has another great day today! She's been out and about, and hardly ever goes into her box anymore. She like to sit by her litter box, and excitedly awaits pellets since getting SunSeeds, and her small portion of greens.
She enjoys eating more when its hand fed to her haha, and allows you to pet her face while she's eating. I pet her while I was changing her litter today, and she closed her eyes and relaxed, and acted like she was really enjoying it. 💕
She's really come out of her shell in the last few days. Used to loud noises, hardly bothered by the cats and dogs, and definitely trusts people.
Today I stepped all the way into her enclosure to change her litter, and she just sat there and watching as I did so. Didn't show any signs of fear, but didn't love being in the middle of the bustle.
She ran into her box when I changed her water, but came right back out when I put it back in hoping for something good to eat. :D
Her droppings are looking great, no problems with greens as far as I could tell, and even though she still poops outside the box, she uses the litter box well for urinating. Hasn't had a problem outside the box at all.
I did see 2 wettish stools last night, but I did give her a grape vine for chewing reasons. Took that away and her stool has been solid since. I've been feeding 1/4 cup of greens at breakfast and dinner, and a 1/4 cup of pellets in the morning. She's eating her hay well, and I'm really happy with how confident she's become, along with the awesome feel she brings to the household.
I've also been looking at our local shelters for additional rabbits to adopt once Aspen is completely settled in. We go on weekend trips to the peninsula a ton in the summer, and have a couple longer trips planned in a couple months. She'll want a buddy for that. I plan on giving them plenty of time to integrate with a see no tough setup when I do adopt in the future. Thanks everyone, I'll post some photos in a moment, she's just the sweetest. 💕

Pictures! I've got a ton!

Attachments

• IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1049.jpg
    IMG_1049.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 4
Shes dumb! I love the DIY toys.

It sounds like she's doing amazing, and I'm happy to see that she's found a great home with you. I'm sure she's already spoiled.
Thank you! She's really starting to fit in well. Give it a few days and she'll be in the house with us. :D
She seems to like the cardboard rolls best haha! I saw her tossing them around at feeding time. 💕
She bought her a larger dog play pen which will be here on Saturday. We'll move her into it right after we get back. Its 59" across so I'm super happy about the space it gives. Her current setup is only 36".
She's one happy bunny!

Thank for taking the time to write such an informative post, I really appreciate it. :D
I just ordered her some Small Pet Select, and picked up a small bag of SunSeeds until it arrives.
Thank you for your reassurance, I'm a huge worry wort haha, but am probably not going Aspen enough credit for how strong she is. I'll continue to see how it goes and make a decision then. Wether outdoors is her permanent housing, or our garage, she'll definitely be spending some time in the house, so that we can bond, and have a strong relationship.
Np, hopefully she'll like her Small Pet Select Order! :)

Also wanted to add, I wasn't arguing for keeping a rabbit outdoors, that choice is totally up to you! I just was talking from what I experienced and also to show rabbits get used to loud noises. I loved to bring my rabbits indoors, too; I haven't since we moved to a new house (because it's new and all with brand new flooring, lol) but I agree that's a great way to bond with your rabbit.

Aspen is adorable though! Love to hear she's warming up to you. :D

Back
Top Bottom