I'm interested in getting rabbits ---- Edit: Just caught a dumped Bunny!!!

Yeah fiber is on the nutrition label. No worries! If you prefer not feeding Purina pellets I totally understand, thatā€™s totally up to you! Oxbow is another pellet brand I highly suggest if you prefer not using Purina.

Glad to help! :thumbsup
Perfect, that makes it easy. I'll figure out what brand they sell at our local feed store, and go from their. Thanks again!

If you start with just-weaned female bunnies and raise them together, 8x8 feet might work for several of them. Does that grow up together will often continue to live together peacefully. Or get an adult doe and one or more of her daughters that have not been separated from her, and let them stay together as the bunnies grow up.

But if you start with adult rabbits that have been living in individual cages, they will most likely fight and injure each other. Rabbits can be quite territorial.

(Of course, individual rabbits might be exceptions either way-- they might fight even if they grew up together, or they might get along even if they grew up separately.)
Yeah. You could try housing two females who grew up together.

Personally for me, Iā€™m not going to try doing it again since I bought two Mini Lop sister does and once they became more sexually mature, one of the sisters fought with the other and ripped a massive chunk of the otherā€™s ear.

But you could try to keep them together. Iā€™ve done it successfully also. Just have to cautious. Really depends because every rabbit has a different personality.

You named your chickens that youā€™re going to butcher? šŸ˜Æ I would feel too attached to butcher them then lol.
No, we got 15 Cornish X meat birds. 2 I'm dieting and keeping as pets. ;)
The others got butchered today actually. Doodle and Smudge will be very that sensitive though, so I'll have to keep them and the bunnies in the same area.

If you start with just-weaned female bunnies and raise them together, 8x8 feet might work for several of them. Does that grow up together will often continue to live together peacefully. Or get an adult doe and one or more of her daughters that have not been separated from her, and let them stay together as the bunnies grow up.

But if you start with adult rabbits that have been living in individual cages, they will most likely fight and injure each other. Rabbits can be quite territorial.

(Of course, individual rabbits might be exceptions either way-- they might fight even if they grew up together, or they might get along even if they grew up separately.)
Wow, thats interesting. I guess that makes sense though, I had no idea they were so territorial.
So when getting rabbits, get does that have been together since babies, or a mother and keep her with a baby or two. Taking note of that, I had no idea.

No, we got 15 Cornish X meat birds. 2 I'm dieting and keeping as pets. ;)
The others got butchered today actually. Doodle and Smudge will be very that sensitive though, so I'll have to keep them and the bunnies in the same area.
Oh ok lol. I was kind of wondering why would someone name their animals that theyā€™re going to butcher? Lol. Got it cleared up though.

Would a heated water pad be easier then refilling constantly in the winter?

If you can be sure the rabbits do not chew the cord, it might work. When I had rabbits in cold weather, I did not have an easy way to get electrical power to the cages, so I used warm water to refill dishes twice a day, and I tried for a third time in the middle of extra-cold days.

The rabbits learn to drink right away when the water is refilled (I think they are better than chickens at that.)

If you use small water dishes, the rabbits sometimes dump the dishes. So use either heavy dishes, or large dishes. I had some that held more than a quart of water per dish, which was too heavy for the rabbit to dump, and the larger amount of water also meant it did not freeze as fast.

Oh ok lol. I was kind of wondering why would someone name their animals that theyā€™re going to butcher? Lol. Got it cleared up though.
Ya, no way would I be able to do that lol! I would get way to attached.
I can't kill a thing, so the deal was, the only way it would be worth it to me was if I got to save two of there lives. So, here I am. Now I've got two pet Cornish X lol!

I want to second what @NatJ said about individual cages. Most prefer their own space, however the cages can be right next to each other. Rabbit fights are no laughing matter. They have sharp teeth and nails and know how to use them.
Wow, thats somewhat surprising, I'll definitely keep that in mind.
So if I got separate rabbits, I cold probably divide the run/hutch into sections, depending on how many I get. I'll look into that as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom