I'm interested in getting rabbits ---- Edit: Just caught a dumped Bunny!!!

Pics
Lol srry its been awhile about my breeds of bunnies. But I'm gonna at least try the cotton tail with my doe probably next yr cause she'll be 6 mths old in August
It will not produce any offspring. Cottontails are from the genus Sylvilagus. Your rabbits are genus Oryctolagus. You will be taking a huge risk by introducing a wild rabbit to your doe as it may be carrying disease, (potentially even hemorrhagic disease) or parasites. You will also be needlessly stressing a wild animal by capturing it and temporarily forcing it into captivity. The rabbits may injure each other. And there is no possibility that even a successful breeding would result in offspring. There is absolutely no benefit to this plan.

Lol srry its been awhile about my breeds of bunnies. But I'm gonna at least try the cotton tail with my doe probably next yr cause she'll be 6 mths old in August
I'm not sure it's legal to catch a wild rabbit. But if it is, I'd be careful because there is a deadly rabbit virus going around called RHDV2 that has been killing wild rabbits all over the US. This virus has spread into domestic colonies and killed some people's entire colony, causing them to start over from scratch.

You could just buy a domestic rabbit that is the same color as the wild ones. Brown on the top with some black bits mixed in, white on the belly, is a color pattern that definitely exists in domestic rabbits.

Ya probably buy me a young buck which kind do y'all recommend for my new zealand doe? The kits will probably be for meat maybe lol

For meat, with your New Zealand doe, I suggest a buck that is New Zealand (any color) or Californian. They will probably produce bunnies that grow the fastest, and have the most meat compared to the amount of bone.

But any other breed that weighs 8 to 12 pounds at maturity could also be a good choice.

About a month ago, I thought a rabbit was the laziest pet ever. I imagined a rabbit sitting inside the house, in a hutch, eating, pooping, sleeping, repeating.
I then read a thread on outdoor rabbits, and my vision of them changed completely.
I'm now actually interested in having pastured rabbits. They would be outdoor in a mobile tractor so we could move them around to eat the dandelions/weeds, and use the manure in the litter box for the garden. Then, I would love to get valuable breeds so I could breed them, and sell them to people who show them. We have lots of people who show there rabbits in the fair near me, so selling them probably wouldn't be to hard.
So what do I need to know. My mom is pretty convinced, my dad on the other hand, will probably turn it down instantly. I'll have to work on wording it correctly.
My questions are-
  • For winter, could I put them in with the chickens so they could sleep in the warm coop? I would have to warm them up to each other of course, but could it work?
  • What does the pen need to be like? What are the requirements for a safe outdoor hutch? Is it kinda like the same setup as a chicken run/coop?
  • I've heard that feed consists of hay, pellets, and one more thing, though I can't remember exactly what is was. Alfalfa is a big part of the diet right?
  • What can they not eat? I know that carrots, vegetables, fruit, aren't good, but any weeds I should be aware of?
Everything else I need to know! Haha! I know they need lots of toys to shave down their teeth, and enrichment, but beyond that I don't know very much. :D
Thanks guys for any advice, ideas on how to convince my dad are welcome to! :lol:
Chickens are said to be the gateway animal towards small farm 🤣

Back
Top Bottom