I'm interested in getting rabbits ---- Edit: Just caught a dumped Bunny!!!

Pics
Then ya go for it also I would recommend a rabbit book for beginners. Raising rabbits I think that's whats its called the authors name is Bob Bennett. Definitely get his book it has a lot of info in it. It tells you from feed and nutrition to building hutch to which breeds would suit your needs
Thank you! I'll look into it.

81kgixeqx0L.jpg
this is what the book looks like

So far, I'm thinking this design for the tractor. Not exact of course, but the material/shape is kinda what I'm thinking.
1621214179654.png

The nesting boxes in the back will be a walled off hutch, which will hopefully have a hinging and locking top, so I can open it from the top to replace bedding. They will be litter trained though, so that'll be a dream. I'll also copy Omlets skirt they use on the outside of the run. That would help deter digging predators.
Please give suggestions on how to make this idea better. This is just what pops into my head for simple. Thanks for all the help so far, I have learned so much already, and am so excited to start this project. With a little convincing and a plan, I think I got this. :D

So far, I'm thinking this design for the tractor. Not exact of course, but the material/shape is kinda what I'm thinking.
View attachment 2673189
The nesting boxes in the back will be a walled off hutch, which will hopefully have a hinging and locking top, so I can open it from the top to replace bedding. They will be litter trained though, so that'll be a dream. I'll also copy Omlets skirt they use on the outside of the run. That would help deter digging predators.
Please give suggestions on how to make this idea better. This is just what pops into my head for simple. Thanks for all the help so far, I have learned so much already, and am so excited to start this project. With a little convincing and a plan, I think I got this. :D
Looks really good! Just make sure to provide a hidey house. Like a cardboard box will do. I get my little hidey houses or huts just from Petsmart.

View attachment 2673189
I would add shade cloth on the sides for summertime and leave the tall, front side as is. There isn't much of an overhang with that roof, so they wont have a lot of shade. Otherwise, that's a nice way to pasture raise them. I can't tell if there's wire on the bottom or not, but rabbits are awesome diggers. They can eat grass even with wire.

I would add shade cloth on the sides for summertime and leave the tall, front side as is. There isn't much of an overhang with that roof, so they wont have a lot of shade. Otherwise, that's a nice way to pasture raise them. I can't tell if there's wire on the bottom or not, but rabbits are awesome diggers. They can eat grass even with wire.
Got it, I didn't even think about the rabbits digging out. So maybe skip the skirt and do wire on the bottom of the pen.
I'll definitely add an overhang as well, and adding shade cloth to the list. Thanks!

I can't tell if there's wire on the bottom or not, but rabbits are awesome diggers. They can eat grass even with wire.
Yes, I agree.

If the wire floor lays on the ground, it can have large holes. It will be easier for the rabbits to eat the grass through large holes, and they will really be sitting on the ground instead of on the wire, but the wire will still keep them from burrowing out. 2 by 4 inch holes might work well for that.

I guess an important question is were to get them. I'm not really picky on breed, what breeds do you think will work best with this setup/climate? If I decide to breed, I'll add some valuable breeds for breeding stock, but for just getting started I'm not to picky.
Then once I choose a breed, were do I get them?

Yes, I agree.

If the wire floor lays on the ground, it can have large holes. It will be easier for the rabbits to eat the grass through large holes, and they will really be sitting on the ground instead of on the wire, but the wire will still keep them from burrowing out. 2 by 4 inch holes might work well for that.
We have a ton of 2x3" welded wire sitting around, we could easily use that to cover the bottom, as the slots are large for them to sit on. It will also keep predators from digging in.

Back
Top Bottom