I'm legally allowed to have ten, BUT...

cochicks

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
Colorado Springs
I would like 12-15. We have room for them, and we would love to be able to share eggs with our family and friends. Am I being greedy? I know a lot of city folk who would LOVE to be allowed 10. Do you think anyone would notice? What are 2-5 more birds anyway? How many of YOU guys push the limits?

Ahhhhhh chicken math!
wink.png

I can't imagine anyone going out and counting your chickens unless they're being a problem. If you have the space, and your neighbors don't object, I'd say going for a dozen seems okay but I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on the net, and I'm not gonna be the one who has to answer for it if you get in trouble.

My legal limit, right now, is 13 (because my landlady has 3 sheep) and the strange regulations assign "Animal Density Points" to different types of livestock, maximum 25 pts for an acre - chickens are only one point apiece. However, "immature offspring not sexually mature DO NOT COUNT."

So, if there weren't four sheep sucking up 12 ADP, I could have 25 adult chickens.

Hmmm. I think I am barely under THAT limit, but for about five more seconds.

If the rules say 10, keep 10, and petition to change the rules. Not getting caught at breaking the rules does not make it morally right to break the rules.

I don't think it's morally right to put a 10 chicken limit on someone's property. So sneaking a few in and getting away with it sounds great. Unless they truly don't have the space to accomodate more than 10 without it being a health risk to the hens or humans. I can see setting limits so that hoarders don't create problems, but some of these ordinances are just ridiculous.

We are allowed six, but we have an extra chick in the brooder...who is gonna know or care since we have such a large backyard? We were walking to the park and looked in a chicken coop on the way and counted 8 chickens (and 2 rabbits)...these chickens can easily be spied from the side walk over a short fence. I know they have had chickens for quite a few years so they have had no problems. I think if you can keep everything nice and clean and if the noise doesn't get too loud you will not have a problem. If you worry about your neighbors maybe you can gift them some eggs to keep them agreeable.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom