I'm Lookin' for a Breed that will Evade Predators

chickengeorgeto you are so funny but all true!
I think the roadrunner comment wasn't far off. It was a joke earlier but they are good at escaping.

I'll never free range unless I am home and I have established an exit to the coup/barn (we have baby chicks and goats now) so that they go into the woods. Chances of a hawk by biggest day predator getting them are very low now since they can't dive through trees :)

Ours aren't a big fan of shelled corn. They'll eat it but they don't go crazy for it. On the other hand... they love greens, veggies such as cucumbers and squash, and tomatoes. Ours are spoiled in the extreme. Their grapes are cut in quarters to make them go down easier. hehehe Throw each handful in a different direction and watch the mad dash. Very entertaining.
You mean you throw everything on the ground and then stand back? That is how you slop hogs or some other ungrateful quadruped. The whole idea is to gain your birds confidence. I dribble the come hither feed out one grain or piece at a time. Then your birds see you as the source of their goodies. And then by watching closely it becomes possible to actually learn something about chicken behavior. Feeding diced grapes on ground that chickens have been raised on for some time is the best way that I know of to spread nasty things like Coccidiosis and worms. Oh BTW please tell me, do you peel your chickens' grapes before or after you quarter them????
wink.png
Have a good day.

Getting back to which breeds are best at escape and evasion, the blue egg laying Araucana from Chili was touted as the be-all-to-end-all in predator avoidance because they didn't have a bush of tail feathers trailing them for a fox to latch on to. At the same time the Sumatran long tailed breeds were touted for their ability to dodge and weave when fleeing a fox, the ability of the fox to grab ahold of the fleeing tail feathers not withstanding.

I my estimation it all comes down to this, if you sell certain breeds of chickens then you advertise the chickens that you sell as the best at predator avoidance. Nuf said? I think it is enough said because none of you purchased hatching eggs or chicks from a hatchery with the intent of raising horderves du renard.

chickengeorgeto you are so funny but all true!
I think the roadrunner comment wasn't far off. It was a joke earlier but they are good at escaping.

I'll never free range unless I am home and I have established an exit to the coup/barn (we have baby chicks and goats now) so that they go into the woods. Chances of a hawk by biggest day predator getting them are very low now since they can't dive through trees :)
Most chicken hawks but especially the Coopers hawk and Sharp shinned hawk tend to run their prey down once the hawk is on the ground where it can mix it up with your chickens. :( These two hawks can also bob and weave while flying through the trees like a mouse running a maze.

PS:
Spanishchick, is that a Proto chicken or a Proto chicken hawk you got there.
It must be a Jurassic chicken hawk because it looks the first feathered chicken thief that I ever killed.

Last edited:
Oh really??????????? I am in the mist of a bird migration right now so I see the Hawks and hear them all day but they are leaving the chickens alone lately.
Busy with smaller birdies I am sure!!!!!!!!!
I have a bamboo forest behind me. Not sure who planted it but it's pretty rambled, a lot of vines and leafy back there.
I've stood outside with a shovel they've come next to us and grabbed them before......we got those back :D
Long story it's in here somewhere.
Anyhow .......... I hope the Hawk Nazi doesn't come yell at me now. lol!

Wow, what crawled up your butt?

Oh the humanity of chickens eating grapes off the ground. The same chickens that free range the yard and woods... eating whatever bug, green, or seed catches their attention. Yeah, it is the grapes that are going to give them diseases and worms. :rolleyes:

Didn't know there was only one right way to feed chickens. Or that it had to be different than feeding pigs. The quartered grapes are a treat. They have fun eating them. Again didn't realize there was only one right way to observe their behavior.

They are livestock not pets. However they will still come running from the far end of the farm when they hear either of us calling. Just like the cattle do. So I'm pretty sure they realize who takes care of them. They are comfortable milling about near me when I'm out in the yard/pasture. They have no issues with us walking among them or touching them as we pass. Some of us are actually capable of observing them as we go about our other work. If there is something that needs closer scrutiny, we walk over and pick up the bird and look at what needs looked at. The cattle, we just walk over and look at them. No lifting involved. ;)

You mean you throw everything on the ground and then stand back?  That is how you slop hogs or some other ungrateful quadruped.   The whole idea is to gain your birds confidence.  I dribble the come hither feed out one grain or piece at a time.  Then your birds see you as the source of their goodies.  And then by watching closely it becomes possible to actually learn something about chicken behavior.  Feeding diced grapes on ground that chickens have been raised on for some time is the best way that I know of to spread nasty things like Coccidiosis and worms.   Oh BTW please tell me, do you peel your chickens' grapes before or after you quarter them????;)   Have a good day.

I want a chicken breed that's friendly so it will let me pick it up but fast to outrun dogs. And light and smart so it will perch in trees away from danger. All of my last flock was eaten by neighbor dogs.
If the dogs got to them on your property, in KY, that's considered free target practice if you choose to. Try to be respectful and give the neighbors 1 fair warning about keeping them under control (might be a kids dog... Gotten a little softer as I've gotten a little older) to give them an opportunity to to manage it... If they were respectable, they should offer to make it right for your loss... Next time it happens, pick your choice of caliber and have fun!!! Same goes for dogs that run cattle. Open season! Some perks of being a farm boy growing up... = Don't miss too often :D... The next call to your neighbor would be to ask if they would like their dog back and where they could find it if so.

I want a chicken breed that's friendly so it will let me pick it up but fast to outrun dogs. And light and smart so it will perch in trees away from danger. All of my last flock was eaten by neighbor dogs.

this is certified. red jungle fowl. they're a flyer, runner, they can evade you as well. 100% natural chicken taste guaranteed. bec they're the direct ancestors of our birds.

or you man enough to put some defenses to protect your chooks.

talk to your neighbor first.

if the diplomacy doesnt do. shoot or poison the dogs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom