I'm Lookin' for a Breed that will Evade Predators

ForTheChickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
Lagrange, Ga
I want a chicken breed that's friendly so it will let me pick it up but fast to outrun dogs. And light and smart so it will perch in trees away from danger. All of my last flock was eaten by neighbor dogs.

Last edited:
ROADRUNNERS
lau.gif

You have just made my day.

Any idea where I can get some from? Do you ship them to the UK?

Not going to be a popular answer but...

Eliminate the dogs. If the owner won't control their animals, do it for them. Not sure about GA law but here in OH, if a dog chases livestock (and chickens fall under that definition) it is perfectly legal to shoot it. The owner has NO legal recourse and will in fact be held responsible for any damage his dogs have done.

Before anyone tears into me for my callous response... I've had dogs all my life. I grew up on a farm raising cattle. I've seen the damage a dog can even if it just thinks it is playing. If you actually value your dog then keep it on your property, under control, and away from my livestock. Don't whine to me about how friendly your dog was. If it is in my pasture chasing my cattle, it will be shot. Chickens are no different, they are livestock. They are food. They are revenue. They are my livelihood.

If the dog owner doesn't appreciate his dogs getting killed and getting a bill in the mail for the damages, replacement costs, lost income, etc it is of no concern to me. If they truly cared for their dogs they would keep them under control and on their property. I've had dogs all my life and am very careful to maintain control of them at all times. They are not allowed to run the neighborhood. They do not chase other animals. They either listen to voice commands or they stay on a leash when outside the home. As much as I love them, if they are chasing livestock then such behavior is totally unacceptable. Just as aggressive behavior is totally unacceptable in the cattle we raise. temperament is as important as any other trait that is bred for.

If the OP doesn't appreciated the info, meh nothing I can do about that. It is a tool in the toolbox. Use it or not.

Quote: That is mostly untrue. It all depends on the chickens' owner and how they interact with their birds. If you spend half the day bent over and chasing your chicks in order to pet them when they aren't in the mood, or force feed them the latest internet treat, then you're going to have some very skittish, flighty or skeptical birds. If on the other hand you spend a couple of hours per-day sitting on a tree stump or lawn chair and interacting with you birds in a reasonable manner you'll have birds that anyone can catch. I should add "that anyone can catch them at least once."

I have recommended Leghorns of every shade and hue for their athletic build, and foraging ability. All the posters without exception argued that leghorns are to mean, to flighty etc. OMG, but some on here must believe that the fence mentioned earlier in this tread was to keep their leghorn chickens from raiding the neighbors dog pen and flying off with and eating the neighborhood drug dealers' pit bulldog.

lau.gif

Alpha Centauri to Earth, Come in Earth.

Every chicken in the universe has been favored tucker for both man and beast for so long that today there are no chicken breeds anywhere that will willingly cozy up to humans, you must earn their trust. A chickens' trust can't be purchased for love or for money, but especially for money.

Ours aren't a big fan of shelled corn. They'll eat it but they don't go crazy for it. On the other hand... they love greens, veggies such as cucumbers and squash, and tomatoes. Ours are spoiled in the extreme. Their grapes are cut in quarters to make them go down easier. hehehe Throw each handful in a different direction and watch the mad dash. Very entertaining.
You mean you throw everything on the ground and then stand back? That is how you slop hogs or some other ungrateful quadruped. The whole idea is to gain your birds confidence. I dribble the come hither feed out one grain or piece at a time. Then your birds see you as the source of their goodies. And then by watching closely it becomes possible to actually learn something about chicken behavior. Feeding diced grapes on ground that chickens have been raised on for some time is the best way that I know of to spread nasty things like Coccidiosis and worms. Oh BTW please tell me, do you peel your chickens' grapes before or after you quarter them????
wink.png
Have a good day.

I want a chicken breed that's friendly so it will let me pick it up but fast to outrun dogs. And light and smart so it will perch in trees away from danger. All of my last flock was eaten by neighbor dogs.
If the dogs got to them on your property, in KY, that's considered free target practice if you choose to. Try to be respectful and give the neighbors 1 fair warning about keeping them under control (might be a kids dog... Gotten a little softer as I've gotten a little older) to give them an opportunity to to manage it... If they were respectable, they should offer to make it right for your loss... Next time it happens, pick your choice of caliber and have fun!!! Same goes for dogs that run cattle. Open season! Some perks of being a farm boy growing up... = Don't miss too often :D... The next call to your neighbor would be to ask if they would like their dog back and where they could find it if so.

I would suggest building to restrict the dogs. Any chicken that can escape a dog will be unlikely to be very tame.

sorry but probably won't happen breeds that are good around predators flighty/skittish prob won't let ya get close enough to pick them up. since thats what there breed for to keep them alive.

I think you are looking to raise roadrunners, not chickens! Unfortunately chickens are at the bottom of the food chain because they can't get away from many predators. Knowing this, it is our job, as owners, to protect them since they don't do a very good job of protecting themselves. Good fencing will go a long way to protecting your hens from dogs. I use electric net fencing, and that has allowed my chickens to live in relative safety from dogs, foxes, raccoons, bobcat and bears.

On an interesting note, I have had white leghorns, rhode island reds, barred rocks and americanas. All have been taken by predators (before the fencing) except the white leghorns. I'm not sure if that's because they are more aware of their surroundings, more flighty, or simply smaller bids, and the predators go for the bigger meals!

Back
Top Bottom