I'm Lookin' for a Breed that will Evade Predators

ForTheChickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
Lagrange, Ga
I want a chicken breed that's friendly so it will let me pick it up but fast to outrun dogs. And light and smart so it will perch in trees away from danger. All of my last flock was eaten by neighbor dogs.

Last edited:
I would suggest building to restrict the dogs. Any chicken that can escape a dog will be unlikely to be very tame.

sorry but probably won't happen breeds that are good around predators flighty/skittish prob won't let ya get close enough to pick them up. since thats what there breed for to keep them alive.

I think you are looking to raise roadrunners, not chickens! Unfortunately chickens are at the bottom of the food chain because they can't get away from many predators. Knowing this, it is our job, as owners, to protect them since they don't do a very good job of protecting themselves. Good fencing will go a long way to protecting your hens from dogs. I use electric net fencing, and that has allowed my chickens to live in relative safety from dogs, foxes, raccoons, bobcat and bears.

On an interesting note, I have had white leghorns, rhode island reds, barred rocks and americanas. All have been taken by predators (before the fencing) except the white leghorns. I'm not sure if that's because they are more aware of their surroundings, more flighty, or simply smaller bids, and the predators go for the bigger meals!

I've heard good things about Cubalayas both being fairly friendly when raised to interact with people and being good at staying alive.

ROADRUNNERS
lau.gif

You have just made my day.

Any idea where I can get some from? Do you ship them to the UK?

I've been looking at Anconas, Blue/Splash Andalusians, and Minorcas for a semi-free ranging flock. They seem to be consistently noted for their free ranging abilities, skittishness, tendency to take flight, and being naturally averse to people. However, the Andalusians I have now are quite personable. Not that I am planning to just turn them out, but their run won't be the fortress my chicken tractor is. With that in mind, I was looking for something on the lean and suspicious side too.

You should fence out those dogs, even if you do get some road runners!

Not going to be a popular answer but...

Eliminate the dogs. If the owner won't control their animals, do it for them. Not sure about GA law but here in OH, if a dog chases livestock (and chickens fall under that definition) it is perfectly legal to shoot it. The owner has NO legal recourse and will in fact be held responsible for any damage his dogs have done.

Before anyone tears into me for my callous response... I've had dogs all my life. I grew up on a farm raising cattle. I've seen the damage a dog can even if it just thinks it is playing. If you actually value your dog then keep it on your property, under control, and away from my livestock. Don't whine to me about how friendly your dog was. If it is in my pasture chasing my cattle, it will be shot. Chickens are no different, they are livestock. They are food. They are revenue. They are my livelihood.

Back
Top Bottom