I'm Lookin' for a Breed that will Evade Predators

I want a chicken breed that's friendly so it will let me pick it up but fast to outrun dogs. And light and smart so it will perch in trees away from danger. All of my last flock was eaten by neighbor dogs.

Chicken breeds that are good at avoiding predators are generally not very people friendly.

But some good breeds to avoid predators would be varieties of Leghorns. I think Brown Leghorns are best because of their coloring. Other breeds such as Jungle Fowl and Dominiques would be good also.

Sometimes people have chickens of these breeds that are friendly to people. I suggest raising them from chicks so they get used to you handling them.

If the dog owner doesn't appreciate his dogs getting killed and getting a bill in the mail for the damages, replacement costs, lost income, etc it is of no concern to me. If they truly cared for their dogs they would keep them under control and on their property. I've had dogs all my life and am very careful to maintain control of them at all times. They are not allowed to run the neighborhood. They do not chase other animals. They either listen to voice commands or they stay on a leash when outside the home. As much as I love them, if they are chasing livestock then such behavior is totally unacceptable. Just as aggressive behavior is totally unacceptable in the cattle we raise. temperament is as important as any other trait that is bred for.

If the OP doesn't appreciated the info, meh nothing I can do about that. It is a tool in the toolbox. Use it or not.

WYNot I understand what your saying. My father in law is a cattle rancher who has had all kinds of issues and they shoot rogue dogs too.

When your around other ranchers I don't think you'll make an enemy. If your in a neighborhood where you live close to non-ranching families then you may end up with an enemy.

That is what I am trying to say.
Personally I'd shoot it too!

Oh, I'm well aware of such potential issues. That is why I'm soooo glad that OH law codifies what should be common sense... ie keep your pets on your own property and take responsibility for its behavior. It also offers protections against such people. They can not sue you. They can not come after you for the cost of the dog. They are totally responsible for any damages done, no wiggle room.

Not aiming any of this at you personally. Just one of my pet peeves. If a person doesn't care enough to keep their dog safe, then don't come crying to me when something drastic happens. Their crocodile tears are as false as their claims of loving their family dog. Just boggles my mind that people think I'm the heartless one when it is they who are heartless. If they honestly and truly cared about their animals, they'd take better care of them.

If a dog is harassing livestock, I have neither the time nor the duty to figure out if it is playing or killing.

At the extreme end of what can result from dogs being allowed to run free, I've seen what happens to dogs when they go feral. There is little in the woods more terrifying than a pack of wild dogs.

I totally agree with you.

If people truly value their dogs then they would not want them out roaming.
The animal could get hit by a car etc etc.
In the UK it is the Law that a dog has to be kept under control at all times, really should be on a lead.
Of course you get the odd creature who thinks they are above the Law.
Like you said - Let your dog cause to wander on my property and harass my livestock - then you take the consequences.

Simple as that.
fl.gif

Quote: That is mostly untrue. It all depends on the chickens' owner and how they interact with their birds. If you spend half the day bent over and chasing your chicks in order to pet them when they aren't in the mood, or force feed them the latest internet treat, then you're going to have some very skittish, flighty or skeptical birds. If on the other hand you spend a couple of hours per-day sitting on a tree stump or lawn chair and interacting with you birds in a reasonable manner you'll have birds that anyone can catch. I should add "that anyone can catch them at least once."

I have recommended Leghorns of every shade and hue for their athletic build, and foraging ability. All the posters without exception argued that leghorns are to mean, to flighty etc. OMG, but some on here must believe that the fence mentioned earlier in this tread was to keep their leghorn chickens from raiding the neighbors dog pen and flying off with and eating the neighborhood drug dealers' pit bulldog.

lau.gif

Alpha Centauri to Earth, Come in Earth.

Every chicken in the universe has been favored tucker for both man and beast for so long that today there are no chicken breeds anywhere that will willingly cozy up to humans, you must earn their trust. A chickens' trust can't be purchased for love or for money, but especially for money.

Who needs internet treats when you have grapes. ;) Combine grapes with your stump and some quiet time and they'll be hooked. Chicken crack works wonders at cementing the human/chicken bond. :lau

That is mostly untrue.  It all depends on the chickens' owner and how they interact with their birds.   If you spend half the day bent over and chasing your chicks in order to pet them when they aren't in the mood, or force feed them the latest internet treat, then you're going to have some very skittish, flighty or skeptical birds.  If on the other hand you spend a couple of hours per-day sitting on a tree stump or lawn chair and interacting with you birds in a reasonable manner you'll have birds that anyone can catch.  I should add "that anyone can catch them at least once."

I have recommended Leghorns of every shade and hue for their athletic build, and foraging ability.  All the posters without exception argued that leghorns are to mean, to flighty etc.  OMG, but some on here must believe that the fence mentioned earlier in this tread was to keep their leghorn chickens from raiding the neighbors dog pen and flying off with and eating the neighborhood drug dealers' pit bulldog.

:lau

Alpha Centauri to Earth, Come in Earth.

Every chicken in the universe has been favored tucker for both man and beast for so long that today there are no chicken breeds anywhere that will willingly cozy up to humans, you must earn their trust.  A chickens' trust can't be purchased for love or for money, but especially for money.

Who needs internet treats when you have grapes.
wink.png
This is true but for small or young chickens 4 oz of shelled corn plus an equal amount of dry cat or dog food goes down better. An Internet treat is any treat that someone tried once and that they swore makes their birds lay hard boiled or sunny side up eggs on demand. That seems a little hard on the old egg plant to me.

Ours aren't a big fan of shelled corn. They'll eat it but they don't go crazy for it. On the other hand... they love greens, veggies such as cucumbers and squash, and tomatoes. Ours are spoiled in the extreme. Their grapes are cut in quarters to make them go down easier. hehehe Throw each handful in a different direction and watch the mad dash. Very entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom