I'm looking to get one chick to add to my flock. Is there a hatchery out there that will just sell m

LucyBO16

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I am looking to get a Barred Plymouth Rock chick to add to my flock when it grows up. Does anyone know a hatchery that has a minimum of one chick? I can't seem to find one that will just sell one chick.

Last edited:
I'm sure a hatchery will sell you 1, but you would have to come and pick it up yourself. They are realists, and know 1 baby chick would most likely arrive deceased to your home. Can I suggest you search possibly Craigs list for someone that may be selling chicks in your area. Another possibility is to put up your request on your State Thread. I do not see a location in your avatar so do not know which state.
WISHING YOU BEST. and
welcome-byc.gif

I'd advise getting more than one chick. They are social animals and enjoy being in company of their own - not only species, but in age. It will be a rather unhappy 5 months or so before a lone chick is sufficiently old to hang out with the rest of the flock.

Thank you. I looked for hatcheries in my area and there were none within an hour of me. I live around the Charlotte, North Carolina area. I am looking on Craigslist everyday. It's actually where I bought my two other chickens!

Get one chick if you plan to keep it with you 24/7. Has anyone ever had to raise an only chick? I have. Get at least two.

Last edited:
It is not good to get one chick to add to others, at least get 2 or 3. It will be on the bottom of the pecking order and will be pecked at a lot. The survival rate is better with introducing more chickens to a flock They will get pecked until a pecking order is made. then it slows down after a week or two. I just bought four and they escaped under my feet when I opened their door and the older flock was fighting each other and chasing the new ones until I caught them and returned them to their side of the coop.

Murray McMurray and Purely Poultry sell "Started Pullets". These are birds that have feathered out, and are not far from laying age. I buy my chickens this way. I don't have to mess with brooder. They, of course, cost more, but, for me, it's well worth it. I believe both places have Barred Rocks. Oh, and since they are feathered out, they don't require other birds to stay warm while being shipped.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom