Im lost now....

Maceeda23

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2019
So you may have seen my last post of my brahma who sat on a golfball. Well I got her some newborns and she seems to be mean to one of them. She pecks at it. I wouldnt say aggressively like it's not like when the hens peck each others feathers out but she just seems mean to this one. The other 3 are still under her but this one is out and exploring its nest. Is a bit of light pecking normal mothering? I dont recall my issa mama doin this but she hatched her own out. I'm checking on her every hour or 2, trying to be vigilant but not disturb her so much she snaps.

Attachments

• 20220529_103034.jpg
    20220529_103034.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220529_093907.jpg
    20220529_093907.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220529_093850.jpg
    20220529_093850.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 3
So far they are still ok but I dont think she is taking them out to eat. Shes just sitting. I'm going to give her another couple hours but that's it because their 48 time frame for the yolk sac is up and I'm not gonna let them starve

I usually put the food and water right in front of the hen. She will call chicks out to eat and drink. They generally set on the chicks for warmth for a week before starting to move more.

The minimum for living off of the egg yolk is about 72 hours after hatch, not 48. The post office delivery regulations use 72 hours. The chicks have to be shipped within 24 hours of hatch. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the chicks will be delivered within 48 hours after they ship. That's 72 hours. I'm not sure when your 48 hour count started, but if it is from hatch you still have time. I once had a drawn-out where the hen did not bring them off of the nest for 80 hours after the first one hatched.

What you are describing sounds more like the hen is discipling her chick rather than trying to kill it. If a chick doesn't do as it is told broody hens sometimes peck them to get them to obey. You are on the spot and the one looking at it so it is entirely your decision, I'm not sure what is going on but it doesn't sound that bad to me. The hen may be telling the chick to stay under her instead of wandering off.

I agree, if she was going to kill it, I think it would be dead.

I am surprised at you all, in how long they sit on the nest. I have never had one sit more than 12 hours.

And sometimes when you foster chicks, it is the chick that does not understand this is a good place to be.

Mrs K

I am surprised at you all, in how long they sit on the nest. I have never had one sit more than 12 hours.
A lot of my broody hens wait until the day after the first chick hatches to bring them off of the nest. Practically all of them are off the nest before two full days have passed. I leave it up to the hen to decide when she brings them off. One time I had a hen hatch a chick late on a Monday. I don't know when the last one hatched. She did not bring them off of the nest until first thing Friday morning, about 80 hours later. I will admit I was starting to get nervous but all chicks were fine.

It's interesting how we can all have such different experiences.

And sometimes when you foster chicks, it is the chick that does not understand this is a good place to be.
It's not just foster chicks. A couple of times I've seen a broody hen peck a chick she hatched because that chick wanted to roam more than she wanted it to. Some chicks are just hatched with attitude.

I usually put the food and water right in front of the hen. She will call chicks out to eat and drink. They generally set on the chicks for warmth for a week before starting to move more.

Shes got them out now
. One didnt make it but I think something was wrong with it

Attachments

• 20220531_184238.jpg
    20220531_184238.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom