I'm missing a bird!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylovelyladies, Jun 15, 2008.

1. mylovelyladies

mylovelyladies Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    My beloved Barred Rock is missing! [​IMG] Tonight when I was putting my kids to bed it started to storm - high winds, heavy rain, thunder, lightening. When I went out to lock up the hens for the night I saw that the wind had blown the coop door shut. 3 out of 5 chickens had apparantly made it in before that happened, the 4th was nestled behind the coop and is now safely inside. But I can't find my BR anywhere in my yard. We're in a residential area so I'm thinking she may have spooked and flown over the fence?! I'm just sick about this - I want my girl home safe! I'm petrified that she's lost and we'll never know what happened to her or that something will get her tonight and a neighbour will have a chicken carcass in their yard in the morning. Dh has been out for an hour with a flashlight searching. Any tips on where I might find her or how I can lure her home? She's probably sitting tight at this point now that it's dark, right? Would she know to fly back over the fence?

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Check trees or anything high--also look under your deck, porch or bushes. We've had some go missing and found them all. It is scary--she probably just got spooked and is hiding out. Keep us posted!!!

3. mylovelyladies

mylovelyladies Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Well, wherever she spent the night is the great mystery of our time because she was in the backyard this morning when dh went out [​IMG]

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I've found my Leghorns 20 feet up a pine tree...danged things...

5. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I used to have a few chickens that refused to go in the coop at night after free ranging all the time. I close each night so its my call if and when they get out. These few tried to out smart me by staying in the trees. LOL. I would get them down and put them in. It stopped after awhile.
    Yours probably found a nice safe spot during the storm. Poor baby, I am glad she is OK!

6. ChixFlix

ChixFlix Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    The other day I was "free ranging" the hens - to give them a different view.

At 9:00 am I went out to give them a tomato treat and all 10 were there.

At 10:00 am I went out again, and one was gone. No feather piles, no blood, no carcass - just - GONE.

Like UFOs couldn't find a cow to take, so they took the hen.

I'm pretty upset - it's been 4 days now and no sign of her. No rotting body smell, either. Just GONE.

I have NO idea where she could have disappeared to - I don't think the predators are out at that time and why no other hens missing? (That didn't sound right: I mean, thankfully, no other hens are missing.)

Any ideas?

7. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    so glad she came back!

8. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:She could be nesting somewhere...I've heard many times how someone's hen goes missing only to find them somewhere broody on a nest! [​IMG] Good luck!!!

9. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:YAY!!!! So glad you found her!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by