So sorry about the squirrel. I had the same thing happen last spring w/ a baby bunny. My kids were devastated. When I was a kid I bottle fed a litter of hamsters. They're so tiny, it was hard to keep them warm, but not too warm. I knew it was futile, but I had to try. It's so hard when they're so little. At least the little thing lived in luxury during her time.

I had a cat who nursed on my earlobe. Then when she got bigger she would knead this fluffy stuffed dog I got her. She's my elderly beast.

That's such bull. My stupid post office did the same thing to me last year. 11 chicks and 9 arrived dead or dying. I tried to resurrect the dying ones, but over the next few days they died, leaving just the 2 that were 'alive' when we got them. The box came in at 4 am, I had called and told them to call me ASAP to come get them... I got a freakin' call at 7 am. I'm not saying those 3 hours would have saved them all, but I it probably would have helped at least a couple of them. It's not like they don't KNOW there's animals in the box. You'd think notifying someone who is more than likely expecting the package would be a priority, not something you wait 3+ hours to do.

That really stinks about having chicks delivered that way. A few hours could have made a difference. And if that wasn't traumatizing enough, you probably weren't able to get a refund due to the were delivered "alive".

Are the shipping boxes clearly marked? Wondering if they get tossed around like everything else. :barnie

When I took my dogs in to the vet for nail trims the other day, I asked the girls if they treat squirrels. I was told Nooooooo - why do you have one? It's illegal for them to treat any wild animals. I figured that after looking it up online. Missouri's stance on wild animal babies is to leave them where they are as it's all part of the natural process. There are only a few licensed wildlife rehab's in the state and they likely wouldn't take a squirrel.

If the need ever arises again I would still do it.

That really stinks about having chicks delivered that way. A few hours could have made a difference. And if that wasn't traumatizing enough, you probably weren't able to get a refund due to the were delivered "alive".

Are the shipping boxes clearly marked? Wondering if they get tossed around like everything else. :barnie

When I took my dogs in to the vet for nail trims the other day, I asked the girls if they treat squirrels. I was told Nooooooo - why do you have one? It's illegal for them to treat any wild animals. I figured that after looking it up online. Missouri's stance on wild animal babies is to leave them where they are as it's all part of the natural process. There are only a few licensed wildlife rehab's in the state and they likely wouldn't take a squirrel.

If the need ever arises again I would still do it.
They actually refunded me for the entire shipment which I was surprised about, so I got the 2 survivors for free. The box is well marked that it contains live animals and has air holes.. plus it was cheeping. I would hope they'd pay attention, they seem to ship quite a bit of them. Nothing seem out of place or tossed around. The very cold heat pack was firmly in the middle and no babies were under it. There just wasn't enough heat to keep them alive.
I think OH has the same policy on wildlife, but there are a few placed that *might* help them.. like nature centers. We have one near where I live, but I've never taken anything there. I once had a bunny that my cats had attacked. It came running into the front yard w/ 4 cats chasing after it. I caught it and put it in a box. It had the skin missing from it's back. It died the next day. We also had a baby bunn that was abandoned in my parent's yard (by the house, not in grass), it died in the night. We assumed that there was something wrong with it and that's why it was left, but it could have been that the mom was scared off. We had at least 4 bunns last year though I've only seen one recently. We've named it Bunnard. It seems to like our chickens. My daughter has pics of Ash next to it. I was surprised it was ok w/ the chicken. It'll let me get fairly close to it, but does get startled if I walk up too quickly.

They actually refunded me for the entire shipment which I was surprised about, so I got the 2 survivors for free. The box is well marked that it contains live animals and has air holes.. plus it was cheeping. I would hope they'd pay attention, they seem to ship quite a bit of them. Nothing seem out of place or tossed around. The very cold heat pack was firmly in the middle and no babies were under it. There just wasn't enough heat to keep them alive.
I think OH has the same policy on wildlife, but there are a few placed that *might* help them.. like nature centers. We have one near where I live, but I've never taken anything there. I once had a bunny that my cats had attacked. It came running into the front yard w/ 4 cats chasing after it. I caught it and put it in a box. It had the skin missing from it's back. It died the next day. We also had a baby bunn that was abandoned in my parent's yard (by the house, not in grass), it died in the night. We assumed that there was something wrong with it and that's why it was left, but it could have been that the mom was scared off. We had at least 4 bunns last year though I've only seen one recently. We've named it Bunnard. It seems to like our chickens. My daughter has pics of Ash next to it. I was surprised it was ok w/ the chicken. It'll let me get fairly close to it, but does get startled if I walk up too quickly.

I'm glad they made good on the chicks, but still shouldn't have happened.

We've got quite a few cottontails here. Unfortunately, the occasional baby gets mowed -- I just can't see them :( The rabbits and squirrels come out with the chickens and usually pay no attention to each other. I have seen the hens chase off an occasional bird.

A few days ago when the chickens were running around I couldn't find Baby Eve. I looked everywhere. I finally found her under the back of the barn standing about 5 feet from a big old rabbit. I think the boys chased her as she usually doesn't stray far from the chicken house. That will hopefully change as all of the young cockerels have gone to freezer camp.

Mine HATE other birds. I let the girls out several times this weekend and the robins were not happy about all these giant birds eating their worms. Then one of my birds will notice them and chase them off. They don't seem to mind Bunnard hanging out around them.
Ugh... those boys. I get that nature has them wanting to make babies, but really... calm down! Are you going to keep any of them?
Weird and gross question. When a chicken eats a worm it goes into it's crop. So are the worms alive and wiggling around in there until it passes into the stomach or is there stuff in the crop that kills them?

Mine HATE other birds. I let the girls out several times this weekend and the robins were not happy about all these giant birds eating their worms. Then one of my birds will notice them and chase them off. They don't seem to mind Bunnard hanging out around them.
Ugh... those boys. I get that nature has them wanting to make babies, but really... calm down! Are you going to keep any of them?
Weird and gross question. When a chicken eats a worm it goes into it's crop. So are the worms alive and wiggling around in there until it passes into the stomach or is there stuff in the crop that kills them?
The crop is a muscular bag. It grinds food against the grit. So worms would get smushed in there.

20180424_044956.jpg
Let me check your breath , Mom.

Back
Top Bottom