I'm NEVer taking my kids anywhere ever again!

I think we've all been there!

About a 2 years ago, we were in Walmart doing our grocery shopping. Keep in mind, we live in an Amish community and see them daily both on the roads and in stores...normal everyday for us. We buy our hay and horse supplies from an Amish farm.
So while in Walmart, we were picking up some tooth paste when my son says "Mommy! There are Amish people buying toothbrushes! I didn't know Amish people brush their teeth too...are they allowed to? "
th.gif
We got a not so nice look.
hide.gif
We left there so embarrassed! I could not believe the words that had just come out of his mouth!
We try to explain to them time after time..they are just regular people who happen to live a different lifestyle and that they live by their beliefs and that's ok. Now that we have lived here for a while, they don't blink an eye when we see them, other than my horse loving daughter will point out whether their horse is a trotter or a pacer!

If it hasn't happened yet, it will!

Yes I agree,laughter is the best medicine!!Ive been laughing so much while reading all these posts.. Kids can try your patience,push your buttons and of course embarrass you and then the hug,kiss and I love you melts your heart and makes up for it all...My 2nd son had a speach problem and didnt talk until he was 2,then 1/2 the time I couldnt understand him. He could not say the TR's" as in truck....But could say words that started with F''..So in walmart we were looking at the toys and of course trucks n cars were my 2 n 3 yr old boys favorites..When he saw the "fire truck" you can imagine his response....My darling was always lounder than most as this goes along w/the speech problem...Well all the way to the check out,he yelled because he wanted the Fire ""uck ....My boys had been exposed to over weight people,me being one of them. We always used nice terms so I was sooo embarrassed when at the groc store a few years later,he asked at the top of his lungs,"why is that lady fat?? I could have crawled out of the store...I have so many embarrassing moments w/kids...They are a hoot!!! I would go to the symphony,dress them up like the other Byc'r said and explain they have to be fanccy n on best behavior!!!!!!!!!!...They understand!!!!...When my older 2 were 3 n 2 we went to Fla w/my dh's job,we were invited to dinner w/other employees and it was at this very,very fancy country club..When we pulled in(valet only) we had a station wagon n 2 carseats...next to the jags n mercedes;;oh my...Seeing 2 little boys come in ALL the servers cringed....My 2 darlings were warned a head of time and they sat,colored,ate and remembered their manners...They were angels...The manager came over and said,My staff was quite concerned when they saw your boys,we are not use to having children here.He then went on to say,he had never seen 2 little guys so well behaved for that long of a time period...Of course that is not always the case...lol...All parents understand and you do the best you can.Kids learn from mistakes too..My mom always told me,"bribery will get you everywhere w/toddlers" lol....

my husband had the bright idea of taking our then 4 year old and 2 year old to a sushi place..very upscale. i didnt even want to go because i was 9 months pregnant at the time. anyways, the kids hated the food and were mildly acting up, and my husband picks up this fork, and the 4 year old LOST IT and started screaming "no daddy dont stab me!!!!!"
i couldve just died..i still dont know why he thought his dad was going to stab him with a fork though!
lol.png

My youngest son talked very clearly at a very young age. I used to take him into the public restrooms with me while DH would take the older two boys. Youngest son would always want to stand by the toilet to flush when I was finished. One day as he was standing there he says"Geeze mom, you sure got a big Butt!" Then I hear laughter coming from the next stall. I told DH that if we had daughters then I would take them to the bathroom, but since we have sons, it is his job, I was not doing it any more.
Also when my oldest son was around 3 I was in the ladies department when I hear 'Look Mom!' I look down and he had managed to put on some very large ladies briefs.
My middle son was describing to his preschool classmates how rabbits made babies.
My oldest son was in the shopping cart, he was about 2, and he reaches up and grabs my bumps and says *itty. I look up and there is this guy just dying from laughter.
hide.gif

Hen_House_Rocks! :

Does anyone else have any funny disasters stories of their children in public???

I don't let my children out in public. They are ebil.. very very ebil...
barnie.gif

This is a great thread!
gig.gif

I have a story similar to the OP. The day after my wedding, we had a family luncheon at my new inlaws' house. They are well off, have a nice house, and a pool in the backyard. Almost everyone on DH side is reserved and well-behaved. My side has lots of younger kids and can get pretty boisterous.
One of my teenage cousins is goofing around with her mom; it escalates, and both go flying into the pool, fully clothed. My family and FIL thought is was funny. Everyone else was probably a bit shocked. Super-great first impression of my relations...
roll.png

Another time, one of my brothers dropped his drawers to pee in public, but I think he was about 5 and it was at a 4th of July fireworks show - very crowded. Geez.

Quote:
DS #1 decided at our town's summer festival that he would pee at the edge of the very crowded sandbox. there are 400 ppl in our town, everyone knows everyone so I couldnt be like "oh look at that naughty little boy! where do you suppose his mother is!?" lol

These stories are hilarious!

When my son was 3 we were visiting my in-laws for a week, at that time we lived in a different state. Well we were at the dinner table and my son for some unknown reason announced to EVERYONE that “mom and dad take a shower together to save water.” I have never been so embarrassed in my life!

Hillbillyhen,

My daughter did that to me when she was 2 or 3, at the fair with a full bathroom. Lots of chuckles going on, I was so embarrassed I didn’t want to leave the stall.

My son didn't create too many shocking moments, but my daughter did. At the age of 3, she got mad at me in the mall and mooned me. Of course, since her bottom was exposed anyway, I spanked her. At about the same age she was fascinated with older people and the color pink. While in the grocery store she saw a very large older woman wearing a bright pink sweater. She pointed to her and shouted, "Mommy, look at that huge gramma!" You could almost see steam coming out of the woman's ears as she charged towards me. Before the lady could say anything, DD said, "Isn't she the prettiest gramma you ever seen?" The lady's face immediately softened and she walked away with a smile. DD loved pink and thankfully always complimented people with pink clothes.

Quote:
lau.gif

A friend once told me about when her son was just a toddler and saw his very first black person and called out... "Mommy, a chocolate man!"
gig.gif
Needless to say, she was mortified....

Back
Top Bottom